O.T.R. Newbie with Gordon Trucking Inc.

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by Willy_J, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Desert_Skies

Desert_Skies Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    You are doing exactly what drivers should be doing by taking advantage of all the technology available. Alot of the older guys are set in thier ways and just refuse to do something as simple as get a smart phone.

As far as my advice being out dated (good catch),you will find I only offer advice on issues I have alot of experience with. My only desire is to help the new guys coming up behind me from making the same mistakes I did.

VegasBiker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Desert_Skies

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    When I went thru Gordons orientation in Sep we were told chaining is at drivers discretion. Safety comes first and any load can be rescheduled. Gordon would be in big trouble if they tried to put a madatory chain and go policy into effect. Theres alot of newer drivers with the company that are just getting driving on bare pavement down. A chain and go policy is for drivers working at companies paying .6800 cpm not .3500 cpm.

Guys is generic for y'all. Sorry ma'am.

4. SierraSemiDriver

SierraSemiDriver Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Really- looks like they've changed since I left. It was one of the ops managers who told me to 'chain and go', to get the load there on-time no matter what except if the road is closed

5. Desert_Skies

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    I would have gone straight up the ladder past safety and right to Steve Gordon if an ops pin head suggested that to me.

6. SierraSemiDriver

SierraSemiDriver Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Good luck. I hope it works out for you there. Before I parted ways there was quite a lot of 'micromanaging' going on. They'd tell me he long of a break to take, when and where to do laundry and get groceries, and every time I came home even for a couple of days I was told to empty out my truck so some slob coud use it- sorry, NO ONE sleeps in my bed but ME. I don't do the sleeping bag-and-backpack thing

7. Desert_Skies

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    Go to post # 12 on the new guy checking in thread.

8. Rocksoff

Rocksoff Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2012
    They can never make chaining madatory ! No one can ..... Its always been up to the driver .. U can pull out of the yard on a 75 degree day with the sun out and go 50 miles down the road and shut down and they still cant do anything to u !!! Thats DOT .... They can NEVER make U do anything U dont want to do ! Dont let them ever make u feel that way .... Haulers paying over 80 cpm to CO. drivers cant ether ...... its not the money its the LAW ...

9. Desert_Skies

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    The guys who are working at those higher paying companies dont have to be forced to chain,it comes with running in that part of the country and its what you do.

10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Chaining is a fact of life on mountain routes. Learn to chain. Practice on your own time on dry pavement and get your routine down.

I'm looking into getting the Chain Up Tool set for the next winter. Anyone used this and if so how do you like it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOksNqqJNCw

11. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Actually since you now only need singles, I'm making a drive up ramp out of 2x8 wood. Should make chaining faster. Last time on Eisenhauer (sp?), I dropped the trailer to chain and it made it easier.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.