Oakley no way to treat new drivers

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by loclay, May 30, 2014.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Oakley said they didn't know the reason why the insurance wouldn't hire him and was not told why.At least Oakley could do is make their lie more believable.But you're right,both sides deceive each other.Drivers fail due to drug test and companies fail to mention a lot of the things aren't checked till they get to orientation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OFTOTR

OFTOTR Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Toccoa GA
    You're not 'hired' until you leave in a truck. Recruiters have to meet a quota of warm bodies in the orientation seats. Most will do the minimal screening they can get away with.

OPUS 7 Thanks this.
  4. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I believe thats true. The recruiters job in many companies is just to get bodies started in the orientation process. Thats their incentive. It stands to reason the recruiter wouldnt want to " weed out" potential candidates who wont qualify becuase that means less money for the recruiter. They just want to get em in and let other departments sort em out. This story is sad and messed up this dudes life because of untruths. I hope he gets a great paying job soon!

OPUS 7 Thanks this.
  5. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    There are a few companies that have recruiters that don't get paid by head count.
    That's the ones I wanna talk to.
    I guess that would be a good question to ask when going over the details.
    Make sure your not gonna be a pic for a car salesman that's moved over to recruiting for trucking.

6. 49'er fan

49'er fan Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Does anyone have any good stories about Oakley?

7. Dreaman

Dreaman Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Iowa
    So if Im understanding this right, op was told to come to orientation even with medical disclosure. Went through all prehire including physical and drug screen. Passed all but when orientation was over was told unhireable.
    Doesnt sound like recruiter has anything to do with it. If he went that far kinda thinking there is something else to the story. Not saying Oakley is perfect, however would like to hear both sides. Especially before I would go blasting them on social media.:yes2557:

8. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    I have only worked for 2 companies. The one I started at, and the one I'm with now. That being said when I went through orientation at my current company it was while I was on home time with my previous for this exact reason.
    If I ever go with another company I will be on home time with my current. Some people say I should give 2 weeks notice, but I do not subscribe to that theory. When companies start paying for lost wages to sit through an orientation if you are not hired I will start giving 2 weeks notice.

9. mattymatt

mattymatt Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2014
    In most states, an employer is not required to give you any notice yet it is expected that you provide notice. This creates a double standard and it is wrong but give notice if you can because it gives your ex-employer less ammunition against you. I don't believe for a New York minute that HR people won't give more information than just employment confirmation. If you are bad-mouthed by your ex-employer, you'll never know, let alone be able to prove anything. It's a rubbish system but it's all we've got.

OPUS 7 Thanks this.
  10. davidl

davidl Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Ohio
    come on...If bypass heart surgery with a hazmat tanker outfit didn't catch someones attention until orientation then I don't know what would! The only out that Oakley has is if Oakley didn't know about it and it seems that they did. Question comes to mind if they missed that little tidbit of information what else are they missing until its too late? I'm really sorry to hear about this man you will get another job better than that anyway.
    I kinda wondered about Oakley with their countless ads on craigslist.

11. orangepicker

orangepicker Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2011
    florida
    the company is bad new...stay away

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.