Oakley Tansport vs. Indian River

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by bmack, Jul 27, 2017.

1. bmack

bmack Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2014
    I am looking at going back OTR after being local for 4 years (5 years driving experience total). I've been hauling fuel for the last 2 years and enjoy pulling a tank. Live in Tampa and considering Oakley & IRT. Any advice comrades?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I haven't worked for either company, but I did love running coast to coast pulling tanks. Do know that IRT runs all over the country with food grade, but don't know how freight lanes are for Oakley. Read Oakley has APU's on the trucks, but that doesn't mean much if the runs aren't good.

4. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Indian River 2016
    @Larry_H has a really good thread going about Indian River. I copied the link hope it worked. He seems to be getting plenty of miles

5. River-driver

River-driver Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I drove for IRT until 2011. I really loved it! Seems like people said IRT was more laid back, and Oakley micro managed, but maybe paid more. That's just my memory of drivers talking though.

I always said it was like a local job across the country. You go to many of the same customers and I really liked it. They don't treat ya like Wal-Mart or some ol grocery warehouse whether. Many loads out of Florida go to Jersey, or Cali. Of course I liked the one going to minute maid in paw paw MI. (home). Most everyone loves going to Cali, but then they may get ya for a round or two doing north/south runs from Washington/Oregon to Cali. But you will catch a run that spits you out like taking California milk to Wisconsin. It's one of the things that make me laugh... just like taking Mexican Orange juice out of McAllen TX to Florida. Much fun to be had running milk out of Clovis, NM. Those runs will deliver to TX, and Louisiana alot. So that's kinda how it goes you drive to a region go around the block a time or two then get a long one to another region. One word of caution... if you have a passport and they know it you will tend to get stuck in that north east region. Florida Juice goes to Ontario alot, So you may get a good FL to Canada load, but often you will get stuck doing shuttle service from Buffalo to Ontario, or Port Newark to Ontario.

Hard for me to picture IRT with e logs, but .... some call it the progress. Lol
    (I know they did raise wages.. hope it off sets the bull ####.)

6. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Sounds about right with the milk coming out of the west TX and the one, NM dairy we're picking up. I'm looking at going to a 4-night/week loading schedule since the cheeseplant shuttles are seemingly far and few between. Those are usually pretty good paying if you could get 4-5 of them a night and the plant is actually running quite briskly. Only issue I've had so far has been laid-over, OTR guys jacking the cheeseplant shuttles we're supposed to be assigned to.
    Still haven't found what I'm looking for, schedule-wise with other daycab companies in NM or CO, so I'm just going to stick out with these guys doing the local thing until that job with the Weds/Thurs off schedule comes about.

7. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I'm quite happy where I am. But, if for some reason I needed to change, IRT would be high on my list. I've never pulled tank (I pull reefer), but I researched them once when I was looking before I landed where I am, and I've talked to quite a few of their drivers (see them at a lot of customers I go) and I've followed Larry's thread. Never heard much bad about them.

Suspect Zero and bmack Thank this.
  8. bmack

bmack Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2014
    For the record Indian River is strict on their requirement of 2yrs OTR experience in last 3 years.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.