Obese, you may not have a job soon.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by scotty, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    Karen, that's my point; with the lowering of target weights and the definition of "obese" there's a lot of healthy people that would fall into that definition. Crazy isn't it? And as for where I got the information; I can't remember where I first learned it but before I posted I verified it by going to some obesity sites, such as bariatric surgery sites. I figured people who work with the morbidly obese would have the statistics. have a great day.:yes2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. firstcav

firstcav Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    I'm not a doctor... unless you want me to be, but I do see a point here. There are health considerations in excessively obese people. I hold a little extra weight mainly in the mid section.... above the belt, so I'm not a biased health nut. I just think that in this line of work... there's a huge potential for disaster if someone has a heart attack, or drops a 52 ounces slushy driving down the interstate.

I don't think people should be automatically fired... but given options to fix the problem either through surgery (at their expense), or a time limit for noticeable improvement. We don't want to have a nation of unemployed... and unemployable people simply because their fat... it has to be a fair process.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
    bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  4. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    What about heavy smokers? That's a pretty substantial health risk as well. I've heard heavy smokes darn near cough up a lung... and I sure wouldn't want them behind the wheel of an 80,000 pound vehicle while they're gasping for breath during a coughing fit.

5. "LOST SOUL"

"LOST SOUL" Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Escanaba Michigan
    the answer to truck driver obesity is quite simple EAT LESS JUNK lets face it as truck drivers we do not get much physical activity therefore we do not require the same caloric requirements as say a construction laborer yet many truck drivers constantly eat themselves into oblivion and WE EAT CRAP AND WAY TOO MUCH OF IT, drink gallons of sugary junk every day, and just let themselves go basically it is a very sad state of affairs and due to todays attitudes on nourishment gravitate towards doritos, little debbie and mc donalds the problem shall get worse

some things we can do
    1 snack on healthy things like granola, almonds , and beef jerky tasty n fullfilling
    2 cut way back on soft drinks or switch to diet soda try water or fruit juice instead
    3 avoid buffets when overly hungry this causes gorging
    4 take fiber supplements such as metamucil this may seem funny but fiber is very very important in the digestive process fiber moves junk out of the colon n prevents intestinal build up
    5 dont park so close to the door at the truckstop park in the back forty if they got one then you will have to walk much farther as an added benefit you'll sleep better cause most are too lazy n park as close as they can to the door so the backlot is much quieter less idling sound
    6 eat smart avoid fast food like the plague
    7 learn how to read nutrition labels
    8 remember the CARB rule if its white do not bite avoid enriched bleached flour like the plague

everybody is different and to each their own these just are some principles that helped me get from 215 back down to 190 and it took nearly two years to do it best plan is to prevent the gain in the first place i am still 15 over my ideal weight/bmi but will keep working at it and my wife is much happier to see me in better shape than i was

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  6. Git_R_Done

Git_R_Done Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Maricopa, Arizona
    thats the same thing I was thinking Ducks.

I'm a big guy and I mean big. I think it would be jacked up if they put a law like that into effect anytime soon. I got my DOT med card they do those for a reason to see if you healthy enough to drive. I can preform any task on a truck that I need to I can get in and out of a truck just fine right now there is nothing stopping me from driving a truck even with my size.

7. "LOST SOUL"

"LOST SOUL" Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Escanaba Michigan
    DONT FRET MY FRIEND I DO NOT THINK THE LAW WOULD EVER PASS ANYHOW BECAUSE IF THEY DID HALF THE TRUCKS ON THE ROAD WOULD BE IDLE TILL THEY COULD FIND ENOUGH SKINNY PEOPLE TO DRIVE EM AND IF THAT WERE THE CASE THIS COUNTRY WOULD COME CLOSE TO A STANDSTILL AND WHEN THE WAL-MART SHELVES ARE BARE AND THE GAS STATIONS DRY PEOPLE WILL SPEAK WITH THEIR VOTES AT THE POLLS ALWAYS REMEMBER THE ROAD TO HELL IS ALWAYS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS:biggrin_25515:

8. Grandiego

Grandiego Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Size only matters if it interferes with your job. Otherwise, it's a personal issue and nobody elses business.

9. Dromedary

Dromedary Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Sorry if this has been said, as I did not read all pages, but just wanted to say this is sick. Plain and simple. I don't think obesity is a good thing, but this country is turning into social darwanism in a hurry. Look at all the signs. All the new laws, the cigarette smoking laws, etc etc. It will get worse before it gets better, but it will never get better if we don't start standing up for our rights.

I am not obese and I don't smoke, but I would gladly stand to defend the rights of those. There should not ever be a law saying that they can't do this or that. If it is affecting their work performance and they are unable to perform their work due to it, that is one thing. But to outright discriminate people for any reason other than their ability to perform a job is stupid.

America says don't discriminate mexicans and arabs because they can't speak english (even though it is a primary obligation of the job they are doing and is MANDATORY to do it properly) yet they say you should be fired if you smoke, even though it has little to absolutely no affect on your ability to perform your work.

People need to get over not JUST race and nationality, but also EVERYTHING. Don't get me wrong, if I had things my way and I owned a business there is no way I would hire a muslim faithed person. America says that's wrong. To me, people of the muslim faith can't be trusted but that goes into a religious debate. Point blank, that would be based on the ability to the job as well. Trustworthiness and integrity are 2 of the highest important things when it comes to ones ability to carry out any job if you ask me. America has gone so far from that that they can't even see their roots with a telescope. It's all about performance and attendance now; work history, etc. Employers tend to claim to care if a person is trustworthy, but go to any sales place and see if they value trustworthiness over sales margins.

10. Grandiego

Grandiego Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2007
    You are right about speaking English being a necessary part of the job. Not hiring someone who can't communicate in English makes sense in this country... and isn't racist.

What you say about Muslims is completely racist and you are wrong.

11. Dromedary

Dromedary Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    ... racist? 'Muslimism' is not a race, last I checked. It is a religious affinity which can be chosen or abandon at the desire of anyone. Muslims kill Christians every day around the world. They persecute Christianity more than any other religion. You call me racist fornot wanting to hire them?

Guess it's a good thing I don't own a company and never will. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate muslims. I just don't trust them; as they don't trust me. I suppose it's ok for people to hate Christianity but not the other way around :smt017

Edit: Though this is common knowledge, people (especially from America) tend to hide from this fact, so I figured some proof would be in order. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians#Muslim_persecution_of_Christians. Most interesting would be Iraq and Pakastan. Once finished, I dare you to find a Christian ran country which executes those who oppose it. Extreme Christians or just regular Christians, it is against our religion to do such a thing. No matter how extreme you are for Christianity, you do not bring death to others. That link of general knowledge just not enough to let it soak in, go ahead and go here http://michellemalkin.com/2006/02/19/muslims-kill-christians-in-nigeria/ to read specific recent events of Christians being murdered and tortured in various ways by Muslims.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.