Obtained my CDL-A Yesterday

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by femalecdla, Feb 22, 2018.

1. femalecdla

femalecdla Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2018
    I'm all set to go to Roadtex. But I really want to begin my career in trucking with US Express. I'm all set for orientation with Roadtex on Monday. US Express is still working on my application approval. Since I've already confirmed that I will be there on Monday, I really don't want to burn my bridges ahead of time. I love what US Express has to offer. But, I know I'll gain the experience and miles with Roadtex. US Express is not a sure deal right now. But, Roadtex is a sure deal. FYI, I do have a felony from 20 years ago and Swift, Schneier, Prime, and a few other mega carriers have turned me away. That saying that they only go back 10 years is not true. Most of these mega carriers go back life. I'm not willing to discuss my past on a public forum nor do I try to hide that I made the wrong decisions in my past. What happened happened. I can't change it. Wish I would have said, No, but didn't and now I have to live with that decision for life. I've learned from it, grown from it, changed the way I think and will never make the same choice ever again.

austinmike and Just passing by Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Go with Roadtex. Don't fool with US Express right now.
    You can change companies again in a few months and have plenty of choices.
    @Wooly Rhino might hire you after you gain a few months experience. He has a small trucking company with nice trucks and hires felons.

4. femalecdla

femalecdla Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Thanks Chinatown.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. taodnt

taodnt Light Load Member

May 6, 2017
    North of Green Bay
    Good luck, I got my CDL yesterday as well. Because I live off the beaten track my two real options are Schneider and Roehl. Pluses and minuses, need to make a decision...

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They both do hair follicle drug test!
    If it were me, I'd do either Schneider Bulk (tanker) or Roehl "National Van Fleet."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Try Milan Supply Chain Solutions; maybe they hire up there.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Congratulations on your CDLA.

Felonies are generally paid for with time sentence completed, completed parole or upon death. It's not a problem out here provided it's never for stealing money or similar.

I do not like the apparent intent to create a eternal never ending enforcement against anyone not specifically sentenced to life or death row over something.

Many Felons who did well and get into trucking generally by and large have a opportunity to build yourself a life which is rather good compared to the lack of options to some.

8. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Congrats on your CDL!

It's a "license to learn". Enjoy the ride!

When you get to your home terminal, the "been there, done that, grew the cotton, made the t-shirt" loudmouth "supertrucker" is not the one you want to listen to.

The driver to seek out is the one who keeps a clean truck and has his/her paperwork squared away always. When this driver enters the driver's area, the loudmouth will usually shut up, and the dispatcher will light up with a smile from the office side of the bulletproof glass.

When you find that driver, ask questions and soak up their knowledge like a sponge...Good luck!

Need4Speed and Slim51 Thank this.
  9. Streetroddreams

Streetroddreams Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2017
    North Central Missouri
    Congrats on the cdl..remember to be safe out there

10. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Depends what the felony is for. Swift hired me with a felony that was 13 years old for trafficking. The type of felony does actually matter. If it’s violent or sexual in nature you may be entirely disqualified from most companies. Some it will be a matter of time. US Express will try to get you to either lease a truck or do one of the Dollar dedicated accounts. Say no.

Sounds like you have a good deal with the company that took you. I’d go with the bird in hand.

11. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    The first felon I hired is on Parole for killing a law enforcement officer. That is a life sentence. I do not regret any part of that decision. Don't let anything stop you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.