Obtaining CDL while on prescription narcotic?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by SeriousCDLInquirer, Jun 17, 2021.

1. SeriousCDLInquirer

SeriousCDLInquirer Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2021
    I’ve been on Subutex for around 10 years, never have had any probloms on it, take it as prescribed as a maintenance medication. Been a single Dad for 9 years and as of November do to hard times brought on by COVID, my children are living with there mother and step father “17&18. So I’m really considering going after a career truck driving “long haul”. My only drawback is that I’m taking prescription subutex. My question is, is it possible to obtain a CDL while prescribed a narcotic? I live in Kentucky. I don’t know how CDL works , if it’s state to state or federal. So if it is possible, is the CDL good in every state or does the policy change state to state?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You'll have to be off that drug completely to pass the CDL drug test.
    Even if you stop taking it, you'll have to be clean long enough to pass a hair follicle drug test.

Puppage and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Plenty of high paying trucking jobs in Kentucky for new drivers.
    Yes, your CDL is good for 50 states and Canada.
    Trucking is a good career, so prepare yourself for it.

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Three points.

First I am a bit cynical when I see a new poster mentioning any prohibited substance and drug testing. I'm going to answer your question though.

The FMCSA grants an exception to the narcotic rule IF two things are true. BOTH must be true for you to be on a narcotic while on duty!
    1. YOU MUST have a legit prescription for the narcotic!
    2. YOU MUST have a DOT Medical Examiner to sign off on it AND make it part of your medical long form.

Last point. BEWARE even with a legit prescription and a MEs OK you will find some carriers won't put you in a safety-sensitive job.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Next to impossible to get a doctor to sign off on a CDL driver that's on a narcotic; prescription.
    One little incident and the doctor can lose everything that's been worked for their whole career.
    The liability will be put on the doctor and the trucking company, because the trucking company knew about their driver being on a narcotic and driving.
    ~
    At one time I had a list of companies that hire graduates of SAP (Substance Abuse Program), but one at a time they all changed their policy. I threw the list away, because it's useless now.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. RocketScott

RocketScott Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
  8. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    10 yrs?? Seems little long, but ‍♂️‍♂️

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.