Odd Reasons for a Load Refusal

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by Scuby, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Here's my story. I p/u'ed a load of potatoes going to the Costco DC in Auburn Wa. in Portland Or. I pulled in ontime and did the ususal check in stuff. After about 15-20 mintues the T/T stops shaking and I was thinking cool Costco was really quick,then I see someone come out of the warehouse. My first thought was uh-oh something is really wrong. Nope Coscto was refusing load because some of the pallets had dirt on them. The potatoes were loaded in really stiff cardboard boxes on top of pallets and dirt must've fallen on the pallets while loading the pallets.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    And so did you, your carrier or broker call the USDA for inspection?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. CURTWAYNE

CURTWAYNE Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    LITTLE ROCK, AR
    There used to be a grocery company around here many years ago. I won't mention any names, they are still in business, but not in this state.
    Anyway, they would refuse produce loads for no good reason. The driver would ask, "what do I do with all this______?"
    They would point to a produce distributor across the street. The driver would go across the street, and sell the load for pennies on the dollar.

Thing of it is, the grocery company that first refused the load, owned the place across the street. Had some other weird name. They got in trouble for it, though. Somebody figured out their little game.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Roadkill I asked couple weeks later about that load. I was told the company cleaned the pallets off and charged Costco for that. I was also informed that Costco was not happy about that. Gee I wonder why ?:biggrin_255::biggrin_255: Serves them right for such stupidity.

KB3MMX and cnsper Thank this.
  6. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    I'm not very smart but i thought that potatoes were grown in the dirt like any other vegetable.:biggrin_25525:

intrepidor, KB3MMX, DoubleO7 and 4 others Thank this.
  7. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

Best one I had was LOAD was to Cold. I was hauling freaking ICE CREAM. Stuff was SUPPOSED to be at -20 or colder. I had a Brnad new Ice Cream Spec Trailer and a HEavy DUTY Carrier with the New Screw style compressor they were trying at the time. Well needless to say I showed up with that load at -32 Degress. The Dock supervisor was SHOCKED. I loaded in Colledge Station TX and took it to City of Industry CA in August that tell you how GOOD THAT UNIT WAS.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Groceries and other "food processors" cannot arbitrarily refuse food deliveries unless the food was "mishandled" (not kept frozen, allowed to freeze, etc), and often the threat of of an inspection by the USDA will convince them to unload their crap and stop their B.S.
    The USDA has the authority to FORCE them to accept or pay for a load that was wrongly rejected.

9. halfburn

halfburn Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Jasper AL
    I hauled a flatbed load of red onions to Boston Market one time and they called
    the inspector over a grading question and while we were waiting the guy
    says "And these feel a little soft also". I felt them and they were not
    so I ripped open a hole in a bag and cut one in half checked it and took
    a bite. I said "#### this the best onion I have ever tasted, here try
    it. Can I buy a bag to take for snacks? These are delcious" They started
    unloading.

KB3MMX, delta5 and dunchues Thank this.
  10. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI

I had a receiver "refuse" a load of frozen meat because I refused to "lump" it after driving 20 hours to deliver it ontime. I threatened to call the USDA and THEY called the cops on me. I told the cops what was happening and that they could not legally refuse a load for those reasons. The cops told me the receiver would unload, but for me to NOT get out of my truck after I was unloaded until I had cleared the gate, not even to shut my doors, and told me the shipper said to "never come back"..........no problem! LOL
    I did have another grocer refuse some onions too, but it was the shippers fault, they loaded all their "bad" onions.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. _ton bundle

_ton bundle Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Elevator Bay, Minnesota
    The oddest reason that I have ever been given, I $&#+ you not, was "I can't take your load because the frogs died."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.