ODFL Question

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by nebulabass, Jun 26, 2022.

1. nebulabass

nebulabass Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2018
    I work for Estes P&D and I'm thinking about trying to get on with ODFL. I have to do a lot of residential deliveries and pick ups. I have 4 years seniority and they seem to want to keep me doing residential.
    Does ODFL do a lot of residential?
    I also have a question about the 401K. Estes only has traditional 401K. Does ODFL offer a Roth 401k?

basedinMN_ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Everyone, with an income under $144k, can open a Roth IRA. Your company has no more to do with your Roth than your grocery store.

4. nebulabass

Apr 30, 2018
    Yes I have a Roth IRA but I want a Roth 401K.

Waterman_99 and tscottme Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Sorry I missed the distinction. You clearly said Roth 401k and I answered Roth IRA. I'm not sure what advantage a Roth 401k has. You lose the tax-deferred benefit of the traditional 401k and you might also be limited to the company approved choices for your investment. With a traditional Roth you can invest in anything your Roth provider has available. For example, Vanguard has thousands of choices in which to put Roth money while ODFL may only have 1-2 dozen choices. I guess I'll have to do more research.

nebulabass and Coover Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don’t work for OD, but we all have to do house deliveries.

Just lie and say you can’t get near the place. :biggrin_25523:

I brought one back today because I couldn’t get down the driveway.

7. nebulabass

Apr 30, 2018
    Thanks tscottme. I have been contributing to a traditional 401k for the past 8 years. I wish I could get a Roth 401K. The Roth version is a lot more beneficial unless you have an extremely high income. Does anyone know if OD offers Roth 401K?
    Mack E6, a lot of guys at my terminal don't have to do residential deliveries. I mistakenly volunteered to do them for years. Now they seem to want to keep me on residentials even though I requested to get away from that.

8. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    What part of the country you at? Estes here in Houston subcontract all residential deliveries to a 3rd party.

When it comes to OD here is the setup at least where im at; Big city more docks along with a bit of residentials, going to the suburbs you definitely will hit residentials. Now being in a country you will still get residentials but not as much as the suburbs

Again that's my experience

As far as roth 401k I do believe OD does offer that and I think you can look up the info at empowerment since that's the provider OD uses it.

If you got more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck.

9. Gomer1969

Gomer1969 Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
    I'm an OD driver and yes we have a traditional 401k and a Roth. I run linehaul and my son runs P&D. He does home deliveries fairly often.

10. nebulabass

Apr 30, 2018
    Thanks Gomer1969 and Texas_hwy. Our terminal is in the suburbs of a big city in the southeast. We send most of our residentials out to other companies, but we have to deliver the overlength ones. That is tough. I guess I would have to decide if it is worth it to make the move to get into the Roth 401k. I would be giving up 4 years seniority and other things. I'm not sure if it's worth it.
    Which company is more secure in a recession?

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  11. Gomer1969

Gomer1969 Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
    I personally wouldn't give up 4 years at ESTES to come over to OD if you're just trying to get away from the residential deliveries and pick ups. If you're worried about a recession then stay where you are and keep your 4 years seniority. That's my personal opinion.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.