OEM vs Orignal parts

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Eboogey, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Eboogey

Eboogey Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2020
    Looking to replace my rod and main bearings in my engine, looking for good advice as to which is better OEM or Original Manufactures parts. OEM is just about half the price, but does that mean that there is a drop in quality as well? Is there any OEM companies that match the quality of let’s say Cummins rod and main bearings?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    OEM and Orginal Manufactures Parts is the same thing.

Are you asking OEM vs Aftermarket parts?

p608, magoo68, Eboogey and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

650cat425 and I glide 47 Thank this.
  5. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I don’t know about now with the quality of some aftermarket parts I’ve experienced but names like TRW, Sealed Power, Clevite, and Hastings used to be top notch engine overhaul parts suppliers. With Victor and Fel-pro being the best gasket sets. Most if not all of them were even OEM suppliers to the big 3 diesel manufacturers at one time.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    It depends what you're replacing. You would have to research each aftermarket company.

If you are replacing rod and main bearings I would get them from Cummins.

If you have a valve cover gasket to replace that you can take four screws off and if it leaks that's okay it'll take a few seconds to fix it.

Especially with bearings and liners and rings No Chinese Hong Kong Phooey.

Goodysnap, 650cat425, Eboogey and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Eboogey

Eboogey Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2020
    Do you know anything about Interstate Mc Bee?

8. Eboogey

Eboogey Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2020

Do you know anything about Interstate McBee? I was wondering these companies are selling parts and someone is buying the parts. I just noticed the big price difference and I wondering if it affects the quality of the materials being sold. I am aware of the product’s from China, I saw some online in Cummins packaging! It was advertised on Alibaba.

9. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Interstate McBee has always been great for Cummins overhaul kits in the past. They had things in stock for the old NH stuff when Cummins shops didn’t. Cummins down here would even get stuff from them.
    I have heard a few negatives from the guys in the vintage truck hobby lately on the quality of a few things that were not an issue in the past.

This made my remember there used to be a custom cam grinder up in Maine who retired and passed on years ago. He’d have good quality marine cams for Cummins and Detriots back then. Totally word of mouth in those days.

Eboogey and 650cat425 Thank this.
  10. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Cummins has had a plant in china for years. They still build the old NH’s for the construction equipment market over there. You can still get new smallcam crate engines.
    Chinese parts even on the new engines assembled in the states is common because of this.
    Very hard to tell what is counterfeit or not with the Cummins packaging from china.

Dipaco. Diesel Parts Company is another good source for the injection pump parts. I’ve had great luck with them. They even make a hi output throttle shaft for the PT pump that has a huge hole in it.

Dino soar, spsauerland and 650cat425 Thank this.
  11. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    You are killing me!!!!

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.