% of company fee for hauling/proof?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by -MadMax-, Jul 10, 2012.

1. -MadMax-

-MadMax- Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Hi guys

I have a question (or several).

The other day I made a C.O.D run and had to get a check from the customer.
    The check was for like $3,330 or $3,600.

I make a "%" of whatever the company receives. I'm thinking that my % comes AFTER fuel expenses.
    What else could come out?

I ask this question because I make %24. Now, it took about 20gal of fuel to do that run. So, I FIGURED (High) $100 or fuel. Which means that according to my (possibly uninformed) math, that my company receives $460ish for this run.
    Of which, after fuel, I'd make $90. Which is what I made on the run.

This doesn't seem logical that a company would do this for $360ish.

There was about 4 hours drive time involved in this run.

Any thoughts? I wanted to ask this question here before (if, even) I were to ask my DM.

I also ask because I cannot help but feel like I'm getting the shaft and the runs are paying more than they SAY they are. So, is there any way to check these numbers also?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    If you're getting paid percentage, it would normally be after the fuel surcharge is taken out. Your company or DM has to allow you to see the freight bills. There are many tricks in the percentage deal. Make sure the bill to is the company that just paid you. If it's listed as someone different, you might be getting shafted. It's very easy, you get paid 24%, however your trucking company forms a middleman company to have everything billed to, taking a slice of the pie before they dream of busting out your percentage.

4. Tripp

Tripp Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2012
    In my experience % pay is a tricky thing.

You have to be on your employer about freight bills,they should show you but that doesn't always happen.
    Or you get one that looks off.

I believe alot of companies are showing what the load pays after the broker has dipped and the company has taken for fuel.

I have pulled alot of loads that didn't make sense one way or another on how they paid.

Depending on who you work for you probably are getting the shaft,if it's low paying and and long miles something stinks.

5. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

A lot of times the salesmans commision and incurred costs / overhead comes out before your %

6. -MadMax-

-MadMax- Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, middlemen & salesmen...

Didn't think about those. Well, that's why I posted the question, I wanted someone to shed a bit more light upon the dark area I know nothing about.

Thanx guys.

So, it would be "normal" to ask to see the Freight Bills?
    It's a precarious position... while not paying great, it's the only thing I have right now, and that kinda puts me behind the 8ball as far as not wanting to make waves.

I've already discussed the lack of money with my DM and he informed me that the company is like 1/4million behind what they projected because of new accounts that never came to fruition.

I'm seriously just wondering if they aren't charging enough... ugh, lol - I don't really want to be "that guy" but if I don't ask to see the Freight Bills I certainly will continue to ponder this question.

regards~

*ETA*
    Also, there have been about 4-6 new guys that were hired, terminated.
    There has also been several other veteran drivers that have quit.
    I talk to mechanics, they are sick of some of the things and now their hours are getting cut and they aren't making all that great of money either.

7. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Well, use this as a learning experience. You must be a pretty trusting person. I have worked on percentage or commission only most of my life. I would never trust someone to just tell me what something paid. It doesn't sound like your current company is too stable, in fact the writing is on the wall, I'd start looking for a new job if I were you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.