Offered a great paying job close to home, but manual trucks only.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Mar 20, 2018.

1. longhairdontcare

longhairdontcare Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2016
    I found the perfect job for me. Starts at $80,000 a year and get to be home everyday with weekends off. It's hard to get on with this mom and pop company because no one ever leaves. I applied a few months ago and got a call this morning telling me a position just opened up. I have 3 years experience, but unfortunately, all of their trucks are 10 speed and I don't know how to drive a stick. I've been driving auto the entire time. They asked me if I would be able to start next monday and me being afraid I was not going to not have another opportunity with company, I told them I would be ready by monday. They told me that I will have to hit the ground running because they have a lot of stops I have to deliver to. I'm panicking looking at youtube videos on how to drive a 10 speed hoping I will get the hang of it by the time I go in.

Can any of you give me some tips on upshifting/downshifting so i wont stick out like a sore thumb?

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Did you go to CDL school and if so didn’t they have a manual for you to train with?

Lepton1, mitmaks and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  4. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Um. Contact local truck rental place and practice.

Lepton1 and Vic Firth Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you learned on a stick shift in cdl school, you'll be ok.
    During the road test; "This truck shifts a little different from what I'm used to; but I'll adjust to it."

6. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    I can't believe they didn't do a road test.

I also can't believe you lied to them, not a great way to start out.

calnca, mitmaks, bryan21384 and 6 others Thank this.
  7. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    You're not qualified. Why screw yourself?

DTP, diesel drinker, mitmaks and 5 others Thank this.
  8. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Better go and let them know you can’t drive a standard. They might be willing to train you in a day or two since it’s easy to pick up.What you don’t want is to explain why the driveshaft is twisted or the input shaft is snapped. Multi stop loads are stressful enough.

9. mugurpe

mugurpe Medium Load Member

May 5, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    either fess up or get a lot of practice in between now and then. Heck, call up a local truck driving school and get a refresher. That's probably best. Maybe they've got a couple different trucks you can try to start getting the hang of the different feels you might encounter. For what sounds like a good job, I think it's worth shelling out a couple hundred bucks to make a good impression. That's what I'd do.

10. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    Like having to move this stick thing to change gears.

11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    ummm.... by Monday???? You WILL stick out like a sore thumb. Learning to up shift is going to be a chore in itself... down shifting... If you cant up shift, you certainly wont be able to downshift, without being noticed. If you can get out of the yard, I'd try to avoid getting around any co-workers for a while.

I would have taken the job also in your shoes but.. I cant believe you took the job & cant drive a standard transmission. I really do wish you good luck. I hope you can manage to get the hang of it pretty quick but without any training, its gonna be a learning curve for you I am afraid.

Lepton1, snowwy, Woodys and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.