OHP crackdown on reckless driving around semi's begins.....

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by drvrtech77, Mar 29, 2018.

1. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    A crackdown on dangerous motorists driving recklessly around semi trucks has begun in Ohio this week.

As of Wednesday, March 28th the Ohio State Highway Patrol is taking a “very aggressive approach” towards reckless motorists stemming from some newly released statistics.

In 2017 alone, 150 people died in crashes involving semi trucks in the state of Ohio, with 72% of those crashes putting the motorist at fault, not the trucker.

“Four-wheelers, they don’t respect truckers,” said truck driver Gerold Cole to NBC 4 I News.

“I appreciate what the safety officers are doing, as far as the safety, but I agree that they need to hit the four-wheelers more,” he said.

“They don’t turn their signals on. They give us no indications… People forget we can’t stop on a dime. One of my biggest fears is running over a car with babies in it,” he continued.

“Improper lane change, following too close is the primary violations that we see,” said Lt. Kelly Weakley, an officer involved in the targeting of dangerous motorists.

“Potentially 80,000 pounds going down the freeway, so you want to make sure you give them proper room, make sure they can see you… The majority of the commercial related fatalities is the passenger vehicle that is at fault,” Weakley added.

The Ohio Insurance Institute even says that, because of the reckless driving of careless motorists, auto-insurance rates are skyrocketing across the state.

Crackdown on reckless motorists to begin in Ohio after new statistics show 72% of semi related crashes are fault of four-wheeler

Dna Mach Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    An officer agreeing with truck drivers that four wheelers are to blame for most accidents involving trucks. I dont know what to say

rolls canardly and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  4. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    That’s rare for Ohio.... back when the 55 truck speed limit was in effect they were pretty much nailing trucks if they went so much as 1mph over, while mostly ignoring the 4 wheelers (pretty much like Kalifornia). Took long enough for those ###### to figure that out.

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    didn't they do this the past couple of years now?

maybe it'll be a better idea to keep quite about it, catch more

6. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    That's like a major announcement - breaking news - that the sky is blue.
    Of course the 4 wheelers are to blame.
    I looked down into a car and saw a lady driving with a Chinese food container across her left arm,
    like you hold a football, and a fork in her right hand. REALLY?

How can you talk on the phone like that?
    /sarc
    Also; There should be a nationwide law that if you are driving and texting, or on a handheld device,
    your cellular service is terminated for 6 months.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Just keep repeating this in conversation: "my biggest fear is running over a 4wheeler with babies in it" this more than anything will get the word out to the public.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.