oil field jobs oh/pa

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by sw6g, Jun 30, 2012.

1. sw6g

sw6g Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Does anyone know of any compaines in NE ohio or western Pa that are hiring water truck drivers (class b triaxle) w/o exp? I have only found one but terminals are to far away.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    Schneider National is advertising for oilfield drivers right outside of Pittsburg in Coraopolis. You might try them.

sw6g Thanks this.
  4. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2012
    What's the best kind of trucking to get into to give you good experience for oil field hauling (other than oil field hauling)?

Construction maybe because it'd be offroad trucking? How do you try to get into construction trucking? I'd guess trying to haul tankers and getting a hazmat would be a good way to start, along with doubles/triples.

5. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    The best experience outside actual oilfield work would be something involving fairly heavy offroad, like log hauling, or some dump truck stuff. You will be driving on rural roads that are little better than paved dirt, and a whole lot of graded dirt/gravel singletrack, in some places with wicked grades to pull, in all kinds of weather. It's completely different from driving on pavement.

snowman01 Thanks this.
  6. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    Absolutely. Driving the 2 lanes in northern New England in the winter would be good training also. Just takes a little getting used to.

7. cpttuttle

cpttuttle Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    altoona,pa
    smith transport,roaring spring pa

sw6g Thanks this.
  8. Truck-N-Tech

Truck-N-Tech Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Please do not consider this an insult, or me putting you down. It is just something to think about. I am going to ask you the question as if I am the man in charge of hiring drivers, for the work you are asking about.

"so.....you have no experience, yet you think you are going to come up here and make the big money just starting out? Explain to me what makes you think you are worth my time even saying hello to you, when I have drivers with a lot of experience fighting for the same job?"

When you come up with a good answer to that, you can think about calling a few companies doing this work.

If this post seems a bit abrupt, and "in your face", trust me, it's nothing compared to the other drivers you will be competing against for the work.

Don't get discouraged. Just accept the fact that you are not going to get a great job driving, when you are just starting out. Find a job you qualify for, and learn every stinking second you are behind the wheel. If you focus, and hold yourself to a higher standard, you might climb the ladder quicker than you think.

Good luck in your search

snowman01 Thanks this.
  9. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2012
    I would expect this to happen, which is why I was curious how to get into the field and after what span of time doing what else is appropriate.

Would OTR be the best experience for a year or two before trying offroad work? Regional? Local/ in city/ heavier traffic?

Once I have a year or two of experience, how do you break into offroad trucking?

10. sw6g

sw6g Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Ohio

Not sure what this has to do with my question. Dont think I would be asked the question you posted if the company are hiring students. And I dont think there is a big competition for the jobs. If there was they would be requiring alot of years of exp driving and not offering relocation exp for just drivers with one yr exp or even 6 mos. From the companies I have spoken to its a insurance requirement just like the other turkcing jobs that request short amounts of exp.

11. Truck-N-Tech

Truck-N-Tech Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    You are right, but even so, I have had a lot of times that people who need drivers, still ask you a question like that, just to get a feel for how confident you are. Be prepared for rude tones and rejections. You have to work your way through all that, to get to where you want to be.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.