Oil gig In North Dakota ? Legit?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by asphaltcowboy4x4, Jun 18, 2019.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Try the oilfield section of this site.

Beware... Winter in ND is like a boxer standing in front of you. Punching you in the face.

tscottme and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Also, you must pass training to operate in the oilfield. It is dangerous. I think it is an OSHA requirement.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    And that is why when I left far northern WI to come to the oilfield I came to New Mexico!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    It's legit.

Oilfield tariffs (the rates the customer pays) are high, especially for hazmat. I worked four years in the oilfield, mostly pulling a flatbed, but also doing power only and drive away (driving customer tractor trailers from point A to point B). I was paid a percentage of anything billed to the customer.

Yes, the winters in ND are brutal. Be prepared to spend over $1000 outfitting yourself with all your PPE (Personal Protective Equipment): FRC's (fire resistant clothing), hard hat, safety glasses, steel toed boots, H2S monitor (hydrogen sulfide). Be prepared to go through safety training to qualify to be on site.

Driving the oilfields will get "mud in your blood". I miss it already. You will have to drive dirt roads up and down steep hills, in mud, in snow and ice, and you will be MILES from any help if you get stuck...or worse. If all that sounds fun, then sign up asap.

tscottme Thanks this.
  6. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    There's only 3-4 replies that are worth listening to. Some people have to reply to everything and parrot what they heard someone else say.

Come up here with a car. Otherwise you'll be miserable. Watford isn't bad, not great but not bad. There are worse places to be and they have all these places to live that are less than ten years old. It'll have the basics in town.

Best part is that if you don't like it you can have a new job the next day. Winter is actually really nice up here. Only the workers stay and all the idiots find some other industry to screw up until it's summer again.

I know Mark, want me to give him a call tomorrow to get the scoop?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I’d do that before otr any day.

If you’re gonna be away I’d rather be in a free dorm than a truck...

8. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I don't know for sure that the company I tried "wanted" to, but it amounted to the same thing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.