Oil leak 14 liter Detroit 60 series

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Nando85, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Nando85

Nando85 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I got this leak side of intake has anyone seen this before

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    I would check the oil feed line coming from the block to your fuel pump. It should be a stainless line with a brass fitting that will sometimes back out.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The only thing I would be concerned with is if the oil is blowing out of turbo, through ata into intake. Pull the hose from turbo, check for oil. Otherwise whatever it is, it’s probably a minor, hose connection, as mentioned, or a sensor leaking from somewhere, maybe valve cover on the very front side, or more likely at the corner, its most likely coming from a forward source, blowing back along the manifold.

5. Nando85

Nando85 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I hope it's not turbo I just did a Borg Warner swap egr upgrade on the other side of turbo looks like condensation

Attached Files:

6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    More than likely you’ve got more than 1 leak, Front cover or compressor oil supply hose/ fitting upfront, and sensors up above starter or rear structure ( bell housing to block) , on rear, Unless last turbo blew, or was leaking, pushing oil, into air to air cooler, and ata wasn’t boiled out ( cleaned) and oil is getting pushed through it now by new turbo. Excessive idle, especially low idling, will cause everything to seep oil. Low idling will also destroy turbo bearing, seal will leak oil into ata.

Vampire Thanks this.
  7. Nando85

Nando85 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2017

Attached Files:

8. Nando85

Nando85 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Looks like I found problem good thing turbo still under warranty does anyone know why this is my second turbo less 4 months the new one is a borgwarner

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    When the last one blew, did it push oil into cac? Or just pipe? Did they boil cac? Or did you replace it? Or was it OK and reused? So this BG is the 2nd replacement, after the first one blew? Too much of a coincidence. I wish I knew more, someone will have some ideas for you I’m sure. Id guess the cac needs a good cleaning now.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Do you let the truck idle for a good 5 minutes with the engine fan going before you shut it off? All that heat and dry spin from shutting it off right away will kill a turbo pretty quick.

Tx Countryboy and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Nando85

Nando85 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Ok so the first one was a normal turbo stock vpod it started leaking oil towards the intake then finally gave up in a hill I replaced the charge air put new one then upgraded to 12.7 borgwarner tune its brand new about 2 months old and now I hear whistle so notice oil on the outside intake took everything apart and found all the oil both sides of the turbo and intake side

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.