Oil mixing with coolant in reservoir

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by snupy5, Jan 30, 2013.

1. snupy5

snupy5 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I took my truck to shop because oil mixing with coolant in reservoir. Shop replace oil cooler and water pump. Within 24 hrs after getting truck out shop i notice truck using oil. I put 4 gallons of oil in truck within 3000 miles. It only started using oil after oil cooler and water pump been replace. Also engine came apart . Bearing came apart and hole in engine block. Anyone have suggestion to what couldve cause failure.

Thank in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TBT 5150

TBT 5150 Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2013
    My mechanical exp would be 1. head gasket alowing oil to mix with the coolant. ( The head would have to be removed to confirm this ) Hope this helps.. TBT 5150

4. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Not really sure why they replaced a water pump. Oil/water mixed together tells me somewhere where the water jacket is seperated from the oil by a gasket, a gasket is either blown or you had a warped head.

You can tell if you look at the Oil dipstick. You will see water since oil/water do not mix well.

5. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc
    Injector tube or injector cup leaking allowing it to mix

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i'm figureing out that there are TONS of place for oil and water to mix. not just the usual head gasket.

and the transmission is another addition to those tons of things.

Dave_in_AZ and Oldironfan Thank this.
  7. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    I would say you had coolant in your oil also and you spun a bearing. The level may have gone down due to it burning the water off after repairs.

Was there any signs of water in oil? What engine is this?

8. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    on all Volvo engines injector sleeves and heat exchanger (pass side of cyl block) are weak.

9. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    on all Volvo engines injector sleeves and heat exchanger (pass side of cyl block) are weak.

10. Oscar_bis

Oscar_bis Bobtail Member

May 17, 2017
    I also want to ask if anyone can help, I have been giving a truck to repair (TGX 26.460) with a fault of oil mixing with coolant. And as a mechanic, I have replaced a new oil cooler and start the the truck but the coolant keeps returning out from the reservoir and also with much oil coming out from the coolant radiator which freaks me up and don't know what else to do. Any help pls!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.