Oil pressure on Volvo D13 Engine

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by wallance, Feb 21, 2018.

1. wallance

wallance Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2018
    My truck is 2015 VOLVO 670 ,D13 Engine.
    When I am driving, it comes up STOP WARNING. Then it shut down.The oil pressure only 30, sometimes nearly 0.
    I have been to volvo dealer in AZ and the code is P117600-Starter Motor deactivated --over temperature,P052013 Engine oil sensor /Switch"A",Circuit open.
    And dealer said the sensor is OK and could not know what is the problem.They said maybe too much engine oil,they just discard some of my engine oil and charge me $500.They told me it will take few days to check more detail.I can not wait because I have to deliver the load in CA.
    After I left, the engine still keep shut down and the oil pressure is 30.Could anybody can help me?Just one night I could arrive the receiver . Please give me some advise.Appreciate it!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Next time you deliver go wait at the dealer. With no warranty your kind of up a creek. They will charge you a bunch of money.

wallance Thanks this.
  4. wallance

Jan 12, 2018
    Come on, I have paid more than $10,000 in dealer to fix kind of problems.
    Could you please give me some advice to fix the problem

5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Crash the truck.

wallance Thanks this.
  6. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Your engine is MAKING OIL!!!!!! <------- I think...lol

I have a 1998 D12 that has a cracked head on between injector # 5 & exhaust valve.

I dump the oil before a trip, then add fresh 25qts of Rotella + 4 Qt Lucas oil and that gets me 1200 miles of run. Thank God I have a pre-emissions that does not have that Oil/Air Separator crap, else all that extra oil would drown out my motor.

The level at 30qts is one inch above min line. After 200 miles, my oil level is ABOVE the MAX line. I have oil coming out my blowby and I'm catching it with a home-made oil catch, and drain twice during the trip.

My truck shows 70psi on fresh oil+lucas, and 30psi after 2000 miles.

It behaves exactly as you described your truck (low oil pressure + too much oil + shutdown message). So far, after I came up with this bandaid solution, it has not acted up again. I'm looking to replace the head soon though.

wallance Thanks this.
  7. Hardworker

Hardworker Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Oil pressure sensor

Socal Xpress and wallance Thank this.
  8. wallance

Jan 12, 2018
    Thank you

9. wallance

Jan 12, 2018
    But dealer said there is no problem with sensor.Is it might be cooler is leaking?Because I found a shop and they said the engine oil like that water ?I have changed the engine oil and now the oil pressure is 60! Very good!
    But my friend said looks like cooler is leaking !And oil pressure will drop down again after 300 miles!

10. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    @wallance

I see you tried to ask a question within the quote. Let me respond (I know you are stressing, so bear with me)

You said:
    • "I just change the fresh engine oil.Now oil pressure looks good at 60"
    • "Because the shop said my old engine oil looks like water...."
    The "watery" oil is exactly what's happening to my oil.

I put 25Qts of Rotella and 4Qts of LUCAS OIL Conditioner. <----- This is to thicken the oil, because it will THIN out once fuel gets into it.

When I do this, my oil pressure stays at 70psi at start-up and is at 60-65psi for the first 500-800 miles (40-45 at cruise). After 1200 miles it starts to hover around 60psi at start-up and last time I tried to push it to 2500 miles, the oil buzzer/shutdown message came on.

I strongly suggest you grab a few gallons of LUCAS OIL from Walmart asap. to slow down the dilution.

wallance Thanks this.
  11. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    If cooler is leaking (coolant?) would the oil not be milky???

Oil pressure drop will slow down with LUCAS OIL ....try it. but dump the oil first and put fresh oil+lucas

Remember, the 3 oil filters take 2QTS each or total 6Qts, so account for that when changing oil, and you may want to put less than the full amount required for oil change.

My truck takes 37qts to dipstick max line. I put 30qts (since I know it will rise)

wallance Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.