Oilfield driving hours question?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Tyrion, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Tyrion

Tyrion Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2018
    I just started in the oilfield and i was wondering what the driving limits are as for how hours I'm allowed to drive a day

Thanks for the help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    That answer depends on a few things, mostly the type of equipment you are operating and what state you are in. If you are not operating a specialized piece of oil field equipment then most likely you are subject to the normal hours of service rules that all other interstate drivers are.

If you are operating a specialized piece of equipment you may be allowed to show off-duty for your time waiting at the well site and take 24 hour reset instead of 34 hour. Examples of specialized equipment would be workover rig, hot oil tube, frac pump. Water bottles and flatbeds are not included.

If you are operating solely intrastate Texas (never leave TX) you may be bale to use their rules which allow for a 12 hour drive period, 15 hour duty cycle and only require 8 hours off-duty.

4. Tyrion

Tyrion Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2018
    Thanks I'm in nd driving hydrovac

5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Ok, that isn't a specialized piece so it is not subject to the 24 hour reset provision. Now, North Dakota has a different set of rules for intrastate drivers, so if your job qualifies and your company allows it you may fall under the intrastate North Dakota rules which allow for;

16 hour duty cycle
    12 hours driving
    10 consecutive hours off-duty before driving again

The also allow for a 150 air-mile radius as a local driver exempting you from log books if you leave from and return to the same place within 12 hours and are given 10 consecutive hours off-duty.

https://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t39c32.pdf

rabbiporkchop, RockinChair and Tyrion Thank this.
  6. Dadetrucking305

Dadetrucking305 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    In ND don’t even worry about it.Not enough troopers.In 3.5 years I was inspected once in a hydrovac.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.