oilfield laying off

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by orangepicker, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    just a few months ago it was 1800 a load for sand to go 120 mi round trip from horseheads ny to wysox pa and its already dropped by 3-400

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cplmac2

cplmac2 Heavy Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Watford City, ND
    We were told in a company meeting last week that the wells we pull will flow as low as $32, that being said I not only don't trust my company I sincerely don't believe they are competent to make that assessment. Our rates are being cut effective Feb 1st, no word from the company on what kind of cut we're looking at but I talked with one of our main operators and he said they are asking all their contractors to take a 15% cut. We're still hiring like crazy but that might be a result of the high turnover in the company. A lot of new hires aren't willing to work with non-DOT compliant equipment and an ever increasing paperwork burden.

4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    same here man rates all across the marcellus region are dropping too so I imagine its even tougher on you guys. Wish all you guys the best of luck

5. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    They just pulled our safety bonuses ($1000/qtr.) I just left a location where a nabors pulling unit was doing a drill-out. They told me that this was their last job and then they were laid off.

A bad thing indeed...

6. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    The bug kills me, hard to overcome the urge to swat the screen with the ball cap......anyway there's still several driver needed shingles hanging out in Big Lake if your looking.....

I'll be joining the Nabors guys shortly.........

Good luck

flightwatch Thanks this.
  7. flightwatch

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    Fortunately, my job is safe... For now. It does suck to have to walk on pins and needles though. Having to worry about getting fired if you look at the owner wrong or bust a hose. Funny how things can change so drastically in just a few months. Back in October, companies were crawling over each other for drivers. Now they treat them like they are day laborers. For me though, I'd rather they cut my bonus than to cut my job.

8. AC22

AC22 Medium Load Member

May 6, 2010
    Williston, ND
    Have you looked into moving on? Still seem to be alot of trucking jobs in nd.

9. TracyN

TracyN Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    One of our drivers talked to one of our rig hands and he said he had been laid off. I spoke with the company man where we have been working flowback and he said they went from having 70 wells planned this year down to 20 wells. Hopefully when the price starts going up on oil things will level out. He did say thay the 20 wells will probably go into August or September so that will be a constant flowback gig through the summer.

We do still have the batteries to pull and they have bid on more. I also spoke with one of our supervisors and he mentioned that even when it gets slow that he hasn't ever seen them lay off the vac trucks, so that is good news. They may cut some other perks, and that may cause us to lose drivers, but that is just job security for me! And I know we are still hiring because we had two new drivers start this week.

10. Ben Gunn

Ben Gunn Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Forgotten Coast
    Yeah, they don't like to lay off drivers because they have to pay unemployment. What they WILL do is cut the hourly rate and restrict overtime. I work with a Nabors driver who was around for the 2008 slowdown and that's how they handled it then. My hours haven't changed yet but there's talk of restricting overtime as a first coarse of action to lower costs.

11. flightwatch

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    Our company won't cut overtime. Instead they try to force the driver's that they don't like to quit by continually giving them the crappy jobs like oil spills, steel pit clean outs, obm transfers, etc. It is funny to watch the battle sometimes. The company won't lay off and the driver won't quit.

double yellow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.