oilfield laying off

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by orangepicker, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    It has slowed down...big time. Look at the construction side. How many new locations do you see being built right now? The rigs and fracking crews are going balls to the wall right now, but if no new locations are being built, where are they going to go when they finish with their current location? The TX RRC just reported that new permits are down 50% since October. Concho pulled their rig out of the Carter lease a couple of weeks ago and I haven't seen it since. They aren't fracking any wells either. Apache is balls to the wall...but only on previously developed locations.

I work for Tom Thorp. Are you out of Mertzon or Big Lake?

Would you please tell them to put a blade on that #### lease road? I went back there for a coil tubing job a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't get over 5mph without getting thrown out of the seat!

3. jbrodgers

jbrodgers Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Boise, Idaho
    I have worked in the oil n gas industry for several years as a "safety man". I worked land rigs, pipeline, off-shore, well testing, and work-overs in S.Texas, E. Texas, LA, MS, AL, ND, MT, CA, UT, Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific Ocean...

With the bbl $$ dropping, I have had a hard time competing with other safety job seekers. Seems like most of the companies are now looking to "promote from within" or hire folks who are more "local" to the job locations, rather than import us from various locations as they have before.

I have seen this happen usually about every 6 to 8 years... sucks

That is why I am now looking for a career change... while the money and days off were good in the oil patch, I need someting that is a bit more stable.

4. UKJ

UKJ Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Seems the companies are being more cheap out in ND too, I decided to come back home after being offered a lame deal out there a few days ago, so I am just focusing 100% on getting a CDL and trying to get with a decent company locally. I know one in particular is paying $1200 a week, so while it's a steep pay cut from what I was making in ND I’ll be home every night and cost of living is a fraction of what it is out there.(specifically housing)

jbrodgers Thanks this.
  5. jbrodgers

jbrodgers Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Boise, Idaho
    Right! I know what you mean... a couple of years back Williston ND housing prices were 1400 for a 1 bedroom apt... 2300 for 3 bd apt... if companies are paying less than they used to, and the cost of living hasnt moved... there will be allot of homeless....

6. UKJ

UKJ Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Yeah, I think a lot of people will end up going back from wherever they came from over time as it gets worse. I told my cousin to sell his house before housing prices collapsed, if he planned on coming back home. he and his wife are on the hook for 300k for a house that would sell only for 80-100k max back home. I think I still have a copy of the shopper from about a month ago $3,300 for a 2 bedroom apartment!

7. acehigh72

acehigh72 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Permian basin Tx
    I'm out of Mertzon

8. acehigh72

acehigh72 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Permian basin Tx
    Idk.... seen 4 rigs go up this week..

9. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    The rigs are still drilling. The 2 on the side of 2469 by 163 are on an Apache lease. They just moved both of them up there from the back of the lease, and they are going to move another Patterson rig today. They have 4 rigs on that lease right now...but they had 10 on it back in August. All I know is what I'm being told by people in the know...and they are quite nervous. Thorp just laid off most of the dirt crew, and brought almost all of their equipment back into the yard. The only ones working are blading roads and some location maintenance.

The only time I wish it would slow down is when I'm driving home on US67 in the morning. The amount of traffic headed from San Angelo towards Big Lake reminds me of I-95 through Newark

10. wingnutf1

wingnutf1 Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2013
    San Angelo,Tx
    This is why i went into hauling crude..many people will slow down before we will..but im not worried..im with Sunoco and we have doubled our drivers in the last 4-5 months..we still have third party running for us.I get my two loads a day and i still see plenty of activity when im running down hwy33 going south of Garden City..no problems here..people are just being a little paranoid..nice to see the work being done on the 158 between Garden City and Sterling City...this whole region is a gold mine..it will not be abandoned so stop stressing out..now if they could figure out how to get the 67 working better..apparently the mayor of San Angelo said the next item to be worked on will be the 67 between big lake and SA..yes,things are chaotic here but i like that things are getting done to help the influx of people moving here..there is so much opportunity here,you just need to go out and work and you will be rewarded!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

wtxiceman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.