OK, I give up... What is Regen? Explain please.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Grumppy, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I see all these threads about regen. I have watched these threads, I have searched threads & I still cant figure out what a regen is or how to do one.

Can you guys explain what it is, what causes it, how do you know it needs a regen & how is a manual regen done. As well since I see all these threads talking about manual regen, is there such a thing as an automatic regen? Does the engine or computer etc do a regen & I dont know it?
    Cause I tell you, I have been driving '06 & '07 Freightshakers with Detroit's for the past 6 years & I dont that I have ever experienced anything associated with a regen. I'm completely lost here.

I would appreciate informative responses rather than "you've been a driving for how long &...." or any other derogatory responses. I'm just asking a question because I don't know & I have tried to follow the threads so I wouldn't have to ask but....

ExmuslimAtheist Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bayle

Bayle Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Cottage Grove, MN
    The exhaust filter starts to get clogged. So the motor needs to burn out the soot. Usually with a lot of highway driving and little idling the engine does itself while driving. However with a lot of idle or city driving it builds up and usually there is a light on the dash that tells you it needs to do a parked regen. That means you park hit a button and the engine revs up gets the exhaust really hot and burns it out.
    I'm not great at these explanations, best I can do. I was surprised no one answered yet. Perhaps somebody else comes along to say it better.

ExmuslimAtheist and Grumppy Thank this.
  4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Shoot, I thought you were talking about our 40th president! That's how much I know about regen. From what I've read it can make the truck run really rough while a regen is going on.

ExmuslimAtheist Thanks this.
  5. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Regens started with EPA07. Many 07's do not have it, they were preorders from 06. It's just like Bayle said. There is a soot filter in the muffler called a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). When soot levels get high, the regeneration burns it out.

There are 2 basic types of regens, Active or Passive. Passive means that no fuel is injected into the exhaust system to add the heat needed to regenerate the DPF. This is when your highway driving and the engine is making enough heat. An active regeneration means that a fuel dosing valve injects fuel into the exhaust system to raise the temperature. An active regeneration can be automatic or driver initiated. The engine will always try to do it automatically, but if it cannot, a light will come on giving warning that a regen is due. At this point, the driver must change the duty cycle of the engine (get out on the highway and hammer down), or if that's not possible, pull over some where so he can do a manual regen. A manual will can take 30 min to over an hour sometimes, typically they are 30-40 min though.

truckon, Grumppy, Big Don and 3 others Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    they really suck. in the winter is when i get it. you wake up. ready to go drive. but the light is on. so now you get the luxuory of waiting for a regen to complete. before you can ACTUALLY start driving.

7. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    some guys seem to get trucks need them more then others
    I only did 2 manual regens in 2 years
    friend same truck 4 one week

8. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Same as video games. When you flip truck and game over just hit regen and you get a new life.

9. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    You ever riding down the road and see a newer truck blowing out thin, blueish smoke??? The truck is going through a rolling Regen. Some trucks are worst then other, Cummins motor's to be exact...

10. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Idle time plays a BIOG part in it. Friend of mine also has a '09 S60. He was doing manual regens pretty much weekly. I have yet to do one. He idled, I have had the generator from day one.

Martin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.