Old Ancient Truck Stop in Manhattan

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Odin1964, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Odin1964

Odin1964 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I don't know how long any of You Guys or Girls out there have been driving Your Big Trucks, but back in 1990, I was driving a Truck for South Eastern Xpress, S. E. X. out of Fort Worth, Texas & I found Myself in New York City to drop off a load of Vegetables the next day at a Fruit & Vegetable Market that I had to pay to get in to & pay to have My Trailer unloaded.

Anyway, I had to find someplace to park My Rig for the night & I managed to find The Truck Stop that Time Forgot on The Island of Manhattan. This place was a nightmare & the building on the property had Steel Mesh Screens over the windows & "The Store" inside the building was only open for 1 Hour a Day & it was inside a Cage & the clerk inside the store was the only one allowed inside the cage while the store was open.

This place was straight out of "Escape from New York".

That being said, does anyone know of the place that I'm talking about & is it still there?

D.Tibbitt, Adieu and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    14th st meat market ? ..I dunno .

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. Odin1964

Odin1964 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Not sure, there was what looked like a Guard Tower at the entrance to The Market the next day in New York City, but I'm more interested in the "Truck Stop" parking lot that I spent the night in. When I arrived, another Trucker in His Truck hollered at Me on the C. B. & warned Me to NOT Open My Doors or Get Out of My Truck until the building opened up the next day.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I think you are talking about
    The bronx market before they cleaned it up .

Studebaker Hawk and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  6. Odin1964

Odin1964 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I have no idea, it was back in 1990.

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    355 food center drive Was the meat market...produce market is just down the street .

8. Odin1964

Odin1964 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Man, That Produce Market is Huge looking at it via Google Earth, but in 1990, the place I went to wasn't anywhere near that size & that 355 Food Center Drive doesn't look anything like the place that I spent the night. Thanks for trying.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. just_sayin

just_sayin Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Bristol baby
    The only ones I can remember were in Queens. That was the early 1980s. I don't remember any in Manhattan,and I was there every week.

rabbiporkchop and bzinger Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Feels like Hunts Point to me. Depends on whats in the truck. In those years NYC was very dangerous. I recall rolling out at sunrise outbound listening to roll calls of names of the dead on the traffic radio from the previous night, then the list of those at Bellevue who need parents, gaurdians or other to come claim them a few dozen souls a night.

PTSD was not a term in those days but for me it was not a good time.

They did clean it up. I recall certain areas back then it's girls and women this side and boys and men that side whats your pleasure. They cleaned that up too. What a City.

I made my last trip into hunts about 2 months before the towers fell. With the wife no less. That particular trip was treated as a full on combat mission sortie from Dairen CT in the night. What was remarkable was there was no one to and from the place night and day which was totally out of character. We had two customers inside that place expecting half trailer loads of meat prepackaged and preloaded to order. No lumping Group 1 went to first customer and group two went to customer number two across the property.

When customer number one got his meat he refused to get out of our trailer. Closed the doors and transported him across to customer number two. Opened the doors and backed in. He had to walk back. Why? A scam, if he rearranged the load against dispatch orders specific you pay him 60 then to find out the packing is ruined and you pay the customer number two another 60 in fees to get it off. And there you are. All shafted. That's not going to happen. Group one got a free trailer ride.

exACT driver, Dino soar and just_sayin Thank this.
  11. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Maybe Hunts Point.

lilillill Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.