Old hand getting back into tankers.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by scott180, Jan 10, 2020.

1. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Started hauling fuel back in 2005 in CA bay area. In 2012 I was hit by a car that ended with nerve damage in my back. So that means 7 years tanker experience but 8 years out of a truck. I have kept my license and endorsements up-to-date. My back is doing better now so I want to get back in to driving. My goal is to start back mid April.

I currently make $19 an hour working from home but that only adds up to $40k a year and I am looking to get to the 100k+ mark as soon as I am able to. I know it may take time.

I am in Utah but am willing to relocate. I prefer less crowded areas with plenty of trees but anywhere is fine as long as putting money towards my goals.

With a lack of OTR experience and 8 years off what path would ya’ll recommend? Cryo sounds good reading the boards. I want to stay away from gas delivery.

What companies would you recommend now and what ones would you recommend as a goal to get on with to retire from? Or is LTL a smarter way to go?

Thanks for the help, trying to figure out which way to go.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will experience a rush of all you have thought you forgotten when you get a hold of a proper 18 wheeler for a hour. It's like a woman, you never forget what she likes and don't likes. Plus or minus a few modern required thinkings

Any time a doc gives you a hard time about back, tell him off and say something like hey you are ancient what does not hurt too much these days now that Pot is still illegal for trucking. (Don't say stuff like that but you get the idea.)

Grouch and scott180 Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Contact Salt Lake Trucking Group - www.sltruckinggroup.com
    Maybe this company can get you back on the road. Not sure, but think they have some FedEx drop & hook contracts and also can get you refreshed and up to date.
    Well, looks like their website is down, but you can still contact the company.
    Phone number is on Google.
    Salt Lake Trucking Group
    Vocational & Technical School

5. scott180

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Thanks Chinatown. I've been trying to trying to figure out which way to go. I'm comfortable with tankers, it's what I know but I believe you have done tankers and LTL. Which do you prefer?

x1Heavey I defiantly have a little rust to shake loose. I used to split my week from a truck/tank with trailer and a standard truck trailer so when I back up I always had to remember which way to turn the darn wheel.

6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Your gonna have to hustle alot with LTL but the money is pretty good. If I were you I would stick to tanker, no docks, lumpers and all that hastle.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I prefer tankers.
    Salt Lake Trucking Group may be able to fix you up with a tanker outfit.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  8. scott180

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Doing as search on SLTG here there was weird talk of a lady being kicked out of her truck by the Feds.

SLTG may not be the way to go. This is what I found on google.

Utah Trucking Companies Allegedly Bribed FedEx Ground Executive

USA vs. Yevgeny Tuchinsky, Alexsander Barsukov, Konstantin Tomlin, Leonid Teyf, Felix Tsipelzon, and Ryan Mower: For a period of approximately 10 years the alleged co-conspirators paid Mower bribes totaling $300,000 in return for Mower allowing Salt Lake Trucking Group and its numerous affiliates to earn $150 million in FedEx Ground revenue for their services. Tomlin, who had residences in both Russia and Utah, and owned a business in Russia, was a large investor in the group of trucking companies. During the same period, the SLTG co-conspirators paid bribes to two unindicted co-conspirators totaling $20,000. The two alleged co-conspirators were not named in the indictment.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I wouldn't care, personally, as long as the company found a job for me.

rachi Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  11. scott180

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.