old head starting a new venture

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Richard Connors, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Richard Connors

Richard Connors Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Boozhoo Niijii's....Translation (Hello my freinds)...My name is Richard and i lookin for a little advice from the guys/gals that KNOW but please note THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN so if your just coming on to trash me for no reason and scare me to talk me outa it (SAVE IT) i'm a 50 year old workaholic grampa makin his last run at leaving somewhat of a legacy to the babies in this world that are here as a direct result of my actions...SO..so i will most likely be pulled from my cab cold and blue( but creator willing by then will be paying someone younger to drive), ANYWAYS...i've been a driver since jan,03 when i got my class A up in Escanaba, Mi...WITH...a 40hr class with Michigan board of truck safety (that was next door) in desicion driveing in adverse weather condotions OR (SKIDPAD)...obsticle avoidance, jack knife recovery, shuffle steering etc, etc....TO THIS POINT (knock on wood) i only got 2 speeding tickets over 10 years back in my POV, but only 1 overweight ticket while driveing dump...and NEVER any accidents...NONE...my whole career...a fact i attribute to the training i received...alright enough background...coming off 4 long years of working for the dept of interior as a heavy equipment operator i've saved lots and purchaseing a brand new VNR 400 series for hazmat tanker hauling for my own lil Thing so to speak...tired of working for someone else and them having all the benny's...my turn...i still able to do 14 to 16 hr days and still like it so why not...credits kick butt...own a nice lil peice of the desert out side Casa grande,Az...but as much as i loved it, in all my hauling, ltl, otr, oversize loads,etc...i only delivered gas/fuel in and around milwaukee chi town for bout 6 months and my better half came up with the big C...so...now that i can devote the time and a nice new tractor to it...whats a good company to TRY and lease on to...i will stay out weeks if thats what it takes to succeed..now the small sleeper is what i can afford so it'll hafta do...it'll accomadate a bed and a tv...thats all i really need to be content really...just need some good advice...i WILL sacrifice to make this work...i figure with 2 or 3 years and possibly a night time driver if i get a local lane for gas station delivery around phoenix tuscon...hell...that be kick butt....but..i not holding breathe for nothing...what i have so far are only idea's ...please be gentle

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Sheesh, no worries, we're all bozos on this bus. My only concern is the truck itself. Volvos are okay, but a new one loses it's value pretty fast, I'd go with a KW. If you want to stay with hazmat, Chinatown can help, not much hazmat tanker stuff in OTR, if I follow you, and a regional gig sounds much more like what you are looking for. Good luck.

4. Richard Connors

Feb 21, 2016
    MIIGWETCH NIIJJII... trans...(thank you my friend) all advice is good advice...Its not the first time ive heard the KW thing...even PETE...actually when i delivered for that short was in a KW although in an older long nose but the volvo i guess was more of a...IF...i could get a second driver...maybe they'd apreciate the ammenities more ya know...not that a new kenny ante got those i supose...but I'll deffinetly checkum out before trigger pull thank you and keep the dirty side down budthnks again

201 Thanks this.
  5. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I’d get the work lined up before buying the truck .

Someone on here was looking for a team driver for hauling cryogenic tanker , out the weeks and home one week.
    In the looking for team driver forum .

slow.rider Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Before you pull the trigger on the new truck thing, have the money to fall back on for repairs and bills.

Landstar would be a good start, but there is a catch to it ... there is work involved in getting the good work.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  7. Richard Connors

Feb 21, 2016
    oh i have plenty for repairs and extra's...thnks though...way ahead of ya on that one

slow.rider Thanks this.
  8. roundhouse

Jul 11, 2018
    Won’t need much for repairs if you get a brand new truck .
    If you’re getting a used truck, you have to decide if you want a truck with the emission system and all the problems that come with it.
    But you will have to get an emission truck if you want to run in California.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    That’s true, but it isn’t about the repairs, it is paying the bills that you need money for while the truck is down.

201 and slow.rider Thank this.
  10. roundhouse

Jul 11, 2018
    Yep.
    Still gotta make the payment and insurance while it’s in the shop for three weeks getting fixed .

if I had a bundle of cash laying around , o wouldnt spend it on a truck. I’d be buying a rental house or a percentage of ownership in an apartment complex .

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  11. Richard Connors

Feb 21, 2016
    yeah i havnt really decided , but...because i really dont want no restrictions...i'm probly gonna run with emmisions cuz i dont want No obsticles from makein money

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.