OLD Old timers, a question: Low bridges before interstates and such

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by fixedtissue, Jun 25, 2015.

1. fixedtissue

fixedtissue Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Howdy,

This is a question for really experienced truckers. Like, guys from the 1950's-60's. Might still be a few that can answer, or at least know somebody who'd know.

Before the interstates, before bypass routes around small towns on the old U.S. highway system, there were a lot of really low clearance and low weight limit bridges. I am familiar with some, as there are still thousands of these obsolete structures around.

I know of one that intrigues me. Along old U.S. Highway 10, at Amherst Wisconsin, there still exists a 1900 era railroad overpass in town. With a current 11'-6" clearance as I recall. A modern two lane bypass was opened around to the south and west of town in 1968, so that solved the height problem (and that bypass has since has been replaced with a four lane divided freeway even farther west of town). Oh and BTW, the old 10 through Amherst was a 1925 era concrete highway with 8 foot wide lanes. Nice!

So.... what did truckers do back then? Were trailers only 10 or 11 feet high in those days? Did Rand McNally or whoever publish guides with bypass routes for these sort of situations? Or was it just trial and error? Obviously the main reason for the 1968 bypass being built, was to avoid that highway underpass.

BTW- that bridge still gets hit by trucks occasionally. Highly visible, well-signed, and it's in a 25 mph speed limit.

Anyway, thanks.

doc43204 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    I refuse to answer since he called me OLD OLD.....seems redundant doesn't it?:confused:

4. grumpygor

grumpygor Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2017
    British Columbia
    There were a few guides to low clearances, not very accurate, many trailers were lower, my 34' fruehauf bedbugger was only 11'7, drivers were cautious, we didn't have big safety watching over us. We would stop and measure a bridge rather than just let the trailer do it. It is a funny thing as the road gets safer the drivers get more dangerous

doc43204, x1Heavy and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Any one that pulled a fruehauf that was anywhere even close to new has been doing this for some time... Fruehauf has been gone for close to 30 years I think???

doc43204 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. grumpygor

grumpygor Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2017
    British Columbia
    Started. In 1962, driving 3tons first, then tandems, then gas tractors, all old stuff remember, 1940s and 50s, people didn't do 2 year leases and throw it away then.

7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I'm still wet behind the ears in comparison to you... I have drive 1 or 2 old pieces from the 50s or 60s, but only a time or two. I would love to get my hands on a 1950s Diamond T truck that I could restore... But that ain't happening anytime soon... And I probably couldn't afford to do it anyway.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One of my first trucks was a 58 white. It was a little thing. Two axles with a 17 foot trailer that was not much more than 11 feet.

I would give anything to drive that old thing one more time. Even if someone had one and gave me 30 minutes with it.

You are going back to at least the late 40's early 50's Eisenhower is the Father of our Interstate System about 1954. Having been shown what is possible by the German Autobahn system of all things in world war two.

BUMBACLADWAR and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  9. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Finally I don't feel that old...

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. grumpygor

grumpygor Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2017
    British Columbia
    Actually the first truck I bought was a 1955 White 3000 with a JT190 in it pulling the previously mentioned freuhauf trailer

Cattleman84 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Back up, and sometimes a long way. lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.