Old School Truckers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jackofalltrades1977, May 8, 2012.

1. FEELTHEWHEEL

FEELTHEWHEEL Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    EL Cajon C.A.
    Coin Laundry, local deliveries for GE appliances in San Diego C.A. 48 foot box with a tail gate, and a tractor without power steering. Most physical amount of work I ever have done in the cab, backing up that truck. (med 80's) If we had snow and more wet weather might have been easy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    the 10 wheel dump autocar with a 2 stick quad box good times. Even out on 95 snow plowing in a convoy of 10 trucks i still never had the right gear. Fortunatly I was young and dumb

4. Beer Runner

Beer Runner Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Canada
    Trucking is still like that here in Canada. I remember the old days as well and have nothing but fond memories of it. Today it's just a job, and the fun is gone. Now I'm just putting in time till I retire. Only a few more years left, and I'm done.

5. jonboy29

jonboy29 Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Home Sweet Home... SW Ont.
    don't forget the w/w fluid was a rubber dome you pumped with your left foot, and with a left and right air wipers, you had one going 60mph and on barely moving.

6. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    back in the days the scale houses would only care about weight you were over weight you wrpte a check and kept truckin. Was running the virginia scale one night on a road no bigger then your driveway cop pulls me we stopped right there on the road.He says what you doing back here boy so i says going to visit my gf He says dont you know it's all blackies back here so in my innocent voice i replied are you prejudice officer. $1700 check later i drove away still grossing 107000

7. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

Well I was one of the Lucky Idiots that got a Walking Beam with the Rubber blocks in the SOB. Called my First truck boss got it CHEAP and ran his trucks til they either Broke the engine Blocks or the Frame Which EVER CAME FIRST. My 1st rig in 1993 was a 71 IH 4070 Transtar with a 290 Cummins 4X4 Rubberblocked Walking Beam and I loved the SOB. He even had Older trucks like that 62 Emeryville with that 238 Detroit in her. Hell he even had a Crackerbox Jimmy in the fleet that got dragged out for Harvest at the time. That give you a clue on what he ran.

8. Bob The Dinosaur

Bob The Dinosaur Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    holdenville oklahoma
    85 mack superliner with a very stout mack v8 and double over 18 pushing her the walking beam suspension of course wit deluxe state og the art arm strong steerage systems. Top that off with a mansion of a coffin sleeper on the ba which ever side you fell on, you slept on......

9. pop-a-top

pop-a-top Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2012
    northeast ark
    old fred said if you meet a man driving one of them macks and he waved at you, he was over revving, lugging it, or he had three hands.

jbatmick Thanks this.
  10. Gypsy john

Gypsy john Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2019
    I wish i could buy one of those spring ride seats now for my bronco.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.