Old School Truckers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jackofalltrades1977, May 8, 2012.

1. Gypsy john

Gypsy john Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2019
    It was fun. I'm a.gypsy by nature, and being out on the road was good to me. I miss it. I miss my cabover kenworth, and the truckstops were way better back then.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    This one is still in use.

You can actually buy an air ride seat with a hand pump on it for it.

I run some of the old iron, that I would hate to run today, even slept under or on the trailer a few times when it was too hot to stay inside.

But I knew guys that are gone now, that truly had it rough . One of my friends started running the Alcan in 1952, now imagine what he had for an engine and tires, to deal with 2000 miles of mud and cordaroy road one way. lol
    I knew 3 different guys that run cat trains to prudhoe before trucks started running, all of them gone now, but imagine running 500 miles one way, in Alaska interior winters on a D7 dozer, lol not my idea of fun. lol

rank and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You would be surprised.

Mack for the Cover for many years. A porton of that had the famous Kitty Cat Sputter.

It's high time I find a old 70's Era CAT Hat Loco.. er Logo Style.

Detriot and Cummin were in Macks too as well as Macks. I don't have too much experience with 350 Macks on say a 13 speed short legger However it would run Town Hill upgrade on I-70 towards Breezewood PA at about 45 and 80000 or so pounds, minus fuel burned from Frederick Maryland to get up there.

The other assigned truck for that particular task was a 87 COE Freightliner on a big cam Cummins. (Think it was a 400 at the time.) which will roll that same trailer to that same store from the same shipper in the same weather condition at 19 mph deep in low range and a bag of patience to get there running aroximately 18 minutes off her clock, meaning it took this one an additional 18 minutes to get to that particular point in the earth on that exact run. With more time penalty added on Breezewood and every single hill after it all the way to Fishertown PA. (Rte 56...) there is a nice little independant hardware south of there at one time.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oh lord have mercy. The old take away the brake trick. That got stopped when they started putting automatic slack adjusters onto my trailers then tractors.

I am grateful to the other poster for mentioning this. Preserve that little sneaky for a thousand years even as our Trucker Children fail to comprehend a house full of these and others.

7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    We can back an auto slack off an empty trailer in prudhoe and by the time it hits town, it is usually back about right. lol
    About half the company trailers I drag, don't need any brakes backed off though. lol

rank and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
  9. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    I heard a dope dealer on the radio in Amarillo last night. Then a couple minutes later a good CB fight started. All that was missing was a couple lot lizards walking the lot.. It was almost like “The Armadillo” of old.

7-UP, Bud A., starmac and 3 others Thank this.
  10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    you had a gold bulldog on the hood of the truck had all Mack engine and drive train. Silver for anything else.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. mustang190

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Another old trick is to carry a gallon of bleach. A little on the drive tires will get you moving off of that ice patch.

rank, x1Heavy and FoolsErrand Thank this.
  12. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
  13. mustang190

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Melts the ice as the tire spins.

FoolsErrand Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs