Old Truck vs New Truck

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by MrHarris504, Mar 26, 2014.

1. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il

Lucar,There is nothing your going to get past me with honorablr realistic freight rates, of Course Ive heard of Landstar and mercer....so I suppose your LEASED to 1 of them huh? there goes 25% of your earnings right there,(At least you THINK its 25%,)

And I know most of what their customers pay on linhaul(Its no secret) plus a reasonable FSC,Or Tariffs on LTL class 50 thru 100 freight...

Don't come on here playin me a fool, Unless you haul 100% Over-dimensional or understand a tariff on LTL, Your not making $300,000 per year LEASED on. Your simply not

90% of my freight is billed on Weight(I'll bet mercer/landstar wont even let you do that) With my customers...The other 10% is brokers/3pls....And I don't make 250k per year per truck...Like I say, unless you Haul OD-Copper-Stainless-or gold all year long, Im not buying it

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coyote302

Coyote302 Light Load Member

May 9, 2014
    LA(lower Alabama)
    It sounds like you know what I'm talking about... I should have added that I pull chemical tanks, maybe that's why new truck notes seem easy to me. Happy trails

Lucar Thanks this.
  4. rjones56

rjones56 Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    staunton va
    Man-- I`m glad that the bank won`t help me. After reading through some of this thread Im really glad. Been a long time since I`ve had to spend the night in a truck stop. Always buy a sleeper truck but only used the last few years to cut short a marital "discussion" or three. More power to you and those big payments.Like the man said earlier- "It`s not what you gross, it`s what you keep." I keep trying to get my payments lower,lol. Maybe a max of 3 more projects before this industry/lifestyle and I part ways. Just pulled 2 clunkers together to make one, should be done by next weekend. By the time Im ready to put fuel in , if nothing else goes wrong, this years truck payments will be less than $450 a month, I will work 9-12 hrs a day, when I want to work AND sleep in my bed every night... P*** on a truckstop and the bank.But, thats just me.

5. BASARAB

BASARAB Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Warren, mi
    general freight running 3k per week with average $2 per mile. 6k per week gross. 220k-300k a year gross, depending on repairs,health, days off e.t.c I know at least 5 people who do that just working with loadboards. And yes, I saw their tax returns

Lucar and Coyote302 Thank this.
  6. lst3925

lst3925 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2014
  7. lst3925

lst3925 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2014
    I drive a 2015 freightliner right now. It's getting 7.2-7.6 mpg.

8. EHB

EHB Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Newfoundland
    Thinking going O/O and get a Freightliner SD truck for highway work but specing it as a off highway truck with go anywhere suspension and full all around diff locks and a 2 speed transfer case.
    With roads or lack of good road you need something that is going to take a punishment.
    Either a 122SD or 114SD or Coronado SD.
    Any thoughts, sick and tired of driving junk.
    Was looking at Kenworth and Pete but a bit pricey.

9. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Try getting in with DOD, I know a guy, most loads are DOD, The ones he's p/u next weeks going to get $27000. For 4 days work, granted most don't pay that high, but generally DOD pays better, government always over pay on this things

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.