Old vs older for owner operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jamesh23, May 22, 2018.

1. Jamesh23

Jamesh23 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2018
    gonna be buying my first truck with cash, no financing. Now I’ll be leased to a company in the oilfield already have that figured out and age doesn’t matter with them but just curious what everyone would choose.

1981 KW W900A 10 spd, 400 big cam, small sleeper, recent in frame, owner retired last year and is letting it go for a steal at about half the price of the Peterbilt. Owned by a farmer and used to haul hay. Unknown miles

2003 Peterbilt 387 13 speed cat c15 engine, big sleeper, in frame within 200k miles, owner bought a new truck. Ran some oilfield work mostly highway 950k miles

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
  4. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    A w900a @#$% fine looking truck

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Treat that 900a nice if you're running that in an oil field they're getting few and far between for decent shape ones.

6. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Take it from an owner operator, nobody here could tell you which truck is a good buy or not. Those 2 trucks need to be gone over with a fine tooth comb and need to be driven. I can’t even begin to tell you where to look for repairs that are need or what to look and feel for in all gears while driving. Given the age of both trucks especially the kw, I bet I could find a ton of stuff. King pin issue, worn out spring hangers, drive shaft rebuilds, u joints. Potential trans issues, brake chamber and line issues. So many things to look for which could cost a ton of money to begin with especially when dot gets under neath. The pete has a lot of miles. I’ll bet steering shaft and gear box wore out for starters.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dude. Learn how to buy a truck, stop getting hung up on nostelga and all of that.

Old trucks can mean pia with downtime, not a lot of real mechanics know how to work on the older engines, more are just parts changers, have an electrical issue and it becomes a nightmare quickly, have an accident, scrap the truck because body parts are used if you can find them.

This is a business, treat it as one. Do your due diligence and buy what will not break.

Petty Cash and wore out Thank this.
  8. Jamesh23

Jamesh23 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2018
    On a budget, I’d love to go buy a new truck. Prolly gonna end up with the Pete. If anyone’s interested the W900 is $6000 it’s in artesia NM

9. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Never but new.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  10. Jamesh23

Jamesh23 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Ya I’ve learned that with cars and pickups haha but people saying used trucks are full of issues well still better than a $2500 a month payment

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well if you have a truck that is sitting in the shop and not making money but costing money, opposed to one that makes you money on the road where you just have that $2500 a month bill, which one is better?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.