Old vs older for owner operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jamesh23, May 22, 2018.

1. Jamesh23

Jamesh23 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Well now my company is saying the W900 would be about 3 times the cost to insure as the Pete not sure why but I guess that makes the decision for me

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    FDDAF259-0E11-46E4-9F3C-F8BB0B403F67.jpeg
    I think your company is talking out their ash. See my fee schedule above. My 86 Pete is 1/3 of my 98 KW and 1/8 of the 2008 KW. All 3 vehicles have the same coverage. Age of the vehicle plays a large role unless it’s a truck that’s worth more than what the depreciation tables say.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Feedman and wore out Thank this.
  4. Jamesh23

Jamesh23 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Thanks for that, I’m lost lol, the Pete is nice on the inside and has a hookup for my xm, a fridge, place for a microwave etc but the W900 is just a ###### truck and all mechanical so if anything were to break I could probably fix it myself

The Pete is 12k with 10k down and the other 2 over payments talked them down from 17k

W900 is 6k or best offer

5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Impossible to tell without looking at them. As much as I like an '81 W900, not sure I'd take it in the oil field. First I think the truck deserves better and second, you're probably looking for a better suspension. The 86 Pete in my sig has low air leaf but no air under the cab or bunk and it's ROUGH on potholes. Buy them both.

wore out and baha Thank this.
  6. Jamesh23

Jamesh23 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Ideally haha but ya I know the W900s are classics now and beautiful trucks I’ve always wanted one or a 379 but I think the Pete would be more comfortable for what I need, sand hauling sometimes I have to stay in the truck the full week. Plus if I decided to go OTR down the road it would be better as well

7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    FWIW We had zero engine trouble with our 2001 6nz for the ~8yrs we ran it between 2002-2010

Jamesh23 Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    just a couple random thoughts.

you do know you need to do a dyno with blowby on any truck you look at?

Insurance is not based on the make, model or year of the truck, it is based on other factors like the driver. If the company says it will cost more, they are full of *****. I would look for your own insurance.

With the number of trucks out there, you should look at more.

9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Drivers and loss runs yes but also the age of truck. We currently have only two drivers for 3 trucks so one should be free right?

10. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Before you decide on whether or not to get an older truck, call some of the companies in your area you're thinking about signing on with. More and more often now companies are requiring late model trucks. For example, in my area (coast of BC), most places now want 2008 or newer. Usually it's 2010 , but some even demand you have a 2014 or newer. Yeah, I agree with you about it being insane to go buy something newer for a whole bunch of dollars that have crap motors. Weak, bug infested junk. But now with all the 'green" designations that carriers have to comply with, they expect people to lay out too much money just to be forced to spend even more fixing the EPA motors all the time. Naturally, gliders are forbidden in my jurisdiction. A pity, because I may would be willing to go nuts and pay upwards of $150,000 for a new buggy if I could put a crate N14 in it. Currently I'm looking for a new truck. Well used anyways. But after getting burned by 2 companies and losing $60k in the last two years and having to sell my last truck in a hurry, I'm looking at buying some old classic iron. mainly because my budget is under $30k, and up here that don't buy much. It's all mountains, all the time, for me. So trying to find Cummins with more than 525 ponies that isn't a later model EPA junker is almost impossible. I do have a line on an old Freightshaker Classic flat top with a rebuilt 2001 ISX 565 in it with a year of warranty left. Wife would kill me because they've made it into a gangster truck. All the chrome being anodized black, yeah the stacks and wheels too. Would have to get a wing for it anodized as well lol. It would be a hoot to drive.

But back to older truck or newer. My last ride was a 2007. I had nothing but problems because it was "old".

As for the gangster mobile. Well, if I'm still going to have nothing but hassles finding a gig with an old truck, I might as well be fashionable about it lol

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  11. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.