"On my way to be a Trucker"

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ricky'sRig, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Ricky'sRig

Ricky'sRig Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2021
    Hey Guys;

I am in process of learning CDL; have few questions as this is my first time trying to get in this industry & want to understand procedures & get homework done before I start applying for jobs.

1. What are the on & off duty regulations & pay structure system; where can I find a guide print?
    2. How do I organize step by step procedures for me to get on road & have steady income?
    3. I am leaving behind construction industry for truck; will I be able to multiply income by picking more shifts & doing long hauls ( I am based in Ontario, Canada).

Will appreciate your help.

Regards,
    Ricky

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Only your employer can answer those. Some truck driving jobs are paid hourly, others by mileage or percentage of the load.

Long hauls don't necessarily pay more than local or regional runs, again, all depends on your employer. Usually, the best way to get more loads/money is by proving yourself to your employer.

Ricky'sRig Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @AModelCat maybe has some suggestions; he's in Canada.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Ricky'sRig Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Canadianhauler21 and Ricky'sRig Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Ontario's quite a bit different than Alberta/BC. There's quite a few Ontario drivers on the site that'll be able to provide better info than I.

Ricky'sRig Thanks this.
  7. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    1. You will be required to complete the MELT program. (Mandatory Entry Level Training). This training cover hours of service rules but here’s a link to the Canadian HOS anyway.

Trucks Handbook

1B. Regarding pay: this depends on the company you’re with and the scope of travel while training. If you’re training in a long-haul setting, you can expect to be paid per mile travelled. (Might be around 40 cents per mile). There’s also usually loading and unloading pay which tends to be just a flat rate. (Might be $20-25). When you apply for a job, the pay details are something you’ll want to find out from them upfront before signing on.

2. The more you’re available to work the better your chances of getting an assignment and making money. Typically you’re at the mercy of your employer for work. You get what they give you, some trips, you may make decent money, the next you may not. That’s how it is. It’s basically piecework.

3. Without knowing what your earnings are as a construction worker, it’s hard to say if you’ll make more in trucking. I wouldn’t count on it. You’re about to make a career change, into one you’ve got zero experience in, it’d be very foolish to think you’ll be able to make more as a beginner in trucking than what you are in your current occupation. It could be possible down the line in trucking but unlikely off the start.

I suggest finding a reputable company to do training with. Don’t go with one of these companies that’ll put you in a truck tomorrow. If you don’t start off with the right training and knowledge, you’ll find yourself in trouble and totally screw yourself out of advancing towards better companies/jobs. (Due to your record).

If you’re in Ontario, check out Challenger Motor Freight or Kriska Transportation.

Redtwin and Ricky'sRig Thank this.
  8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    1. A little green book for the regs, nothing for the pay system.
    2. There are none.
    3. While you might picks some shifts, you are still bound by HOS rules and can not work over those hours.

This may be the most unstructured of the structured industries in the galaxy.
    There can be no guide print for a job that changes day by day and hour by hour.

Ricky'sRig Thanks this.
  9. Ricky'sRig

Ricky'sRig Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2021
    Construction pays me 28/ hr gross.
    For trucking i can see few short comings correct me if i am wrong,factors affecting performance and pay are.
    1. Inexperience new driver or mid skill drivers, like lack of language, extreme weather driving skills , not able to manage emergency situations like accident an heavy traffic.
    2. Poor standards of vehicles provided by operators.
    3. Communication lapse and unprofessional dispatchers, not setting your timetable correct.
    And not sure for more reasons.
    I am going thru MElT program.

10. Jaebo74

Jaebo74 Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2021
    If you're making $28/hr in construction, you're backing up by going to truck driving. At least that's been my experience. There are really good paying trucking jobs but, they are few and far between. It will take quite a bit of experience in trucking to match that pay scale. I'm in Georgia, I do realize that isn't Canada, but, you guys usually make less than us up there. The high paying jobs in trucking down here usually limit you to about 50/hrs a week also.

Ricky'sRig Thanks this.
  11. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    1) During your first year, Inexperience will slow you down in several ways. Trip Planning and Map reading/ Navigation skills in general. Getting efficently between point A and point B. It takes time to learn those skills. If you go the wrong direction, and you will, it is usually not as simple as a quick u turn to get back where you belong. Close Quarters driving in Cities, navigating right and left turns at intersections with lots of traffic. During your first 6 months or so, your Backing Skills are going to suck and it may take you quite some time getting that 53 foot trailer into the hole. There are some pretty tight backing situations across this Country. Learning to manage your DOT Clock. When to start, when to stop, where to park.

2) Most of the large Carriers run late model well maintained equipment. It is in their best interest to have reliable equipment on the road. Remember....they make money by picking up and delivering freight. Breakdowns are very costly, they want to avoid them as much as the drivers do.

3) Your loads will be sent to you electronically. These companies will give you adequate time to pick up and deliver your loads. We are governed by strict hours of service out here. They know how much time you have to drive and how long it takes to get there. You need to keep up communication on your end through your Qualcomm or other communication device. Send dispatch updates if you are held up at a Shipper or Receiver. Keep them updated on your ETA/ PTA. Try to keep all communication electronically, not with phone calls. If you are asked to do something or go somewhere by your dispatcher on the phone, say OK, Send it to me on the Qualcomm and I'll be on my way.

One last piece of advice. When you get to school, steer clear of the douchebags that will inevitably show up for class. Follow instructions. Speak when spoken to. There is a lot of stuff to cover in a short amount of time. These instructors do this every week. They know who is serious about school and who is not. The losers usually get weeded out quickly. It is fast paced and can get frustrating at times. Roll with it. CDL School teaches you JUST ENOUGH to pass your CDL exam and get your License. It DOES NOT teach you to be a Truck Driver. Good luck to you!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.