One of my drivers just got a ticket

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Green logistics, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    See you're using a preconceived concept of mom, and what is a mom.

This is 2017.

There are mom's that will take your money, your Com data card, your truck, and eat your carcass.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    I highly recommend you call one of those ticket services that Chinatown recommend !!!! I have received a few tickets over the years and hiring those services were WORTH every penny !!!!! They always helped me out greatly !!!!! Not just in getting things tossed or reduced but in handling the entire situation , money well spent.

x1Heavy and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Fatmando

Fatmando Medium Load Member

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's likely that he wrote it the way that he did, to force you to plea it down to what really happened. Fight it. Get an attorney and fight it. You almost have to, for insurance reasons, anyway.

Then have a conversation with your mother about the full scope of the cost of her actions, from the fine through the attorney's fees, court costs, insurance premiums, the probable late load, the company CSA and time lost at scales, that cop now eyeballing the rest of your fleet, and future freight revenue lost.

I understand that you can't seriously discipline your mother, but she needs to understand what her extra few miles per hour cost her son and her family, to properly deter future lapses in judgment, like this one. That she wasn't actually driving 15mph over the speed limit does not absolve her from responsibility for getting a ticket that says that she was. Had she been running legally, at the speed limit, the cop probably would not have focused on her, as the target of his lies, and none of these problems would be yours to deal with.

But fight it. For the good of your family business, fight it tooth and nail. Get it reduced or dismissed, even if she is guilty, because it affects more than just her.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Land in front of the right judge, and the state won't have to "prove" squat. You're guilty, end of story, AND even more so since you're driving a truck, and to Hell with any possible facts to the contrary. ANY testimony on your part will only serve to annoy said judge who will then gleefully make a fool out of you in front of everyone.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  6. Fatmando

Fatmando Medium Load Member

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Let him make a fool of you, if that's what it takes. You have to try. The cost of just letting it stand, is too high not to try. People treat truckers like poop every day. This is no different. It's also possible that you'll get lucky, and the cop won't show up, and a judge will throw the whole thing out. That's a longshot, no question, but under the circumstances, you have to try.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Then you appeal and the senior judge starts making a fool out of the first. Sure, might take a few times, but appellate judges tend to not have a sense of humor when lower courts are not actually following the law.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.