One wreck on record

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Downtime89, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Downtime89

Downtime89 Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Hey peeps really simple question here, I'm wanting to get into this career. I currently work as a cable service technician in Georgia. I drive probably a good 5 hours a day as it is I've been looking into getting into trucking. Problem is I have one accident on my record I was ticketed for following too close at the accident. Is there any company that will hire and train with that on my record? I already applied for roehl but was turned down for that reason. I applied for Pam last night and have to call around lunch today do they have the same policy as roehl?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How long ago was the wreck?
    Where are you in Georgia?

4. Downtime89

Jan 24, 2018
    Columbus Georgia the wreck was about 3 or 4 months ago I'm 28 and it was my first wreck in over 10 years.

5. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    I don t think the accident would hurt you, but seeing the ticket was for following too close, some companies may frown upon that because even though you don t have a CDL yet, they still may view that as a serious violation

Downtime89 and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Contact Georgia Training Academy right there in Columbus and ask about tuition assistance. They have financial aid or you can pay up front with a credit card, etc or other means.
    Because your wreck was a rear-ender, it's classified as "careless/reckless driving" in the trucking world. There are companies that will hire you though and are called "2nd chance" companies.
    The school may want you to have a "pre-hire letter" from a company before they accept you as a student, due to the wreck. The reason for this is the school doesn't want you to graduate and then not be able to find employment; it hurts their reputation.
    If so, here are some companies that may agree to hire you and give you a pre-hire.
    Stevens Transport
    Carolina Cargo
    TransAm
    USA Truck
    OK, think you'll be ok. Keep us posted!

Downtime89 Thanks this.
  7. Downtime89

Jan 24, 2018
    Yea that's what I'm worried about, roehl said I would have to wait 3 years. I'm going to also apply for Steven's transport today since they have a local training facility.

TravR1 and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Don t give up, there are several thousand other companies out there, when one door closes, there may be another door opening elsewhere. Trust me, some companies would want to give you an opportunity, but the insurance companies have the final say so

Downtime89 and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Also, try smaller companies. You'll get treated better and their insurance companies may be a little more lenient

Downtime89 Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just an FYI, driving a small pickup or van for 5 hours is nothing compared to living in a truck for 168 hours, driving up to 70 hours and working 12 hours on top of that - all in one week.

Downtime89 Thanks this.
  11. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    I know Swift requires one year distance from the accident.

Downtime89 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.