One year as a O/O with one truck. Is buying a second as backup wise?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by greatvines, Mar 8, 2015.

1. greatvines

greatvines Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2015
    I'm on my one year mark as an Owner (I hire a driver) and a lot of lessons learned from hauling crude oil. My truck is a little beat up around 800k (originally bought 700k) and had a lot of major repairs since. I calculated that I spent almost 50k worth of maintenance to this truck. I guess you can say I bought the wrong truck. Every time it goes down, not only do I have to pay for the maintenance costs, but my truck was not producing during its downtime so I'm wondering if it would be wise to buy a second truck (maybe i nicer 50k price range?) and make this truck a backup truck in case the primary goes down for repairs. By doing that I continue to produce revenue. Basically, its like a 2k a month investment for having a second truck as insurance. Does this make sense? What do you experienced truckers think? I'm planning my second year as a Owner of one truck. By the way, I own the truck and paid for it cash. I think its worth 15-20k now from what I'm seeing. Its mainly just doing on road and no offroad use. How can I improve my situation?

Lucar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    having a second truck would defenitly be the way to go to keep revenue coming in. but if it breaks down as much as the primary. you could just be pulling in revenue just to turn around and spend it on repairs for both trucks.

can't speak for everyone, but i'd buy a second. the truck i'm in now. has been in the shop 4 weekends in a row now for the same egr codes.

greatvines Thanks this.
  4. greatvines

greatvines Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2015
    I'm thinking of trading it in too to get a better truck. However, if its wise to keep the truck anyway since its value is not that great anyway, then trading it in wouldn't be a good choice? Because of the situation I'm in, I could expand to a two fleet truck with one tanker trailer.

5. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    Sounds very promising in a business sense, however imho I'd be very frisky to go that route, 2 wrongs wouldn't make a right and could be the end for you.
    savings and (hate me as usual) a credit line would be the only way to stay afloat. I too, spent $50k in a year in repairs on my former truck, I traded and jumped up to a 2014. However my operation is flatbedding and not tank hauler. Just something to consider.
    good luck.

greatvines Thanks this.
  6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    If you are driving cross country then I would say it is not worth keeping 2 of them because you will break down 2000 miles away and it will do no good. If, however, you are within say a 500 mile radius then I would say yes it is a good idea. I think a one day drive in a rental car is a good rule of thumb for this. You do not have to license or insure the second truck until you actually need it.

Another idea is to put the new truck on the road then bring the other one in and fix all the little issues. You can then say swap them every 3-6 months and put them in the shop to keep on top of things before they break.

rank, greatvines and Grijon Thank this.
  7. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Makes sense to me if you are losing money with one truck buy another one that way you can double your loss.:biggrin_25513:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  8. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Do not forget that the SPARE truck is going to cost $ just sitting as you need to keep it plated , insured , inspected , fueled up/ serviced ready to go on a moments notice ( or piddle around for a week getting it ready ) to replace the primary truck should it break down.

9. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Just curious about your repairs. Were the breakdowns directly related to the stresses of the off-road nature of your operation, or were they simply mechanical repairs needed due to the age and wear on the truck? Might be something to consider.

greatvines Thanks this.
  10. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

The op noted that "Its mainly just doing on road and no offroad use"

greatvines Thanks this.
  11. lmcclure1220

lmcclure1220 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Walnut, Ms
    You have to remember also that the oil "boom" has gone "bust" for the time being. Nobody knows for sure when it will come back. Have you checked the "road" companies to see if you can make it with regular freight?
    I used to drive for a woman out of OKC who had 5 trucks. She always said 5 was the magic number. You could make money with one truck or with 5 trucks. But it took 4 running to pay for the one that would always be down for one reason or another at a given time.

greatvines Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.