One20 has announced it will cease operations on June 18.
“Your One20 apps (One20 maps, My One20 and One20 F-ELD) will not continue to work,” the company posted on its website. “We won’t be doing any updates or offering any support. We’ll miss you and hope that you all continue to support each other the way you always have. Who knows, maybe we’ll meet again down the road.”
From OOIDA website: One20 to end ELD operations
One20 to end ELD operations
Page 1 of 4
Quite a few will. Many are having trouble getting them to work.
It's a "Perfect Storm."
- Bluetooth (in general) is a Notoriously Unreliable signal as is Cellular Data.
- App Developers (as most providers are 3rd party) are not from the trucking industry and unfamiliar with "what features are/aren't really needed."
- Mobile Apps are not meant to be "feature-rich" programs, they are "watered-down" to accommodate the limited environment that they are typically used and housed.
- Apple products are not meant to be "On and In-Use" as much as required. So, developers have to fight against the "Battery-Saving" Features on IPhone/Pads to get the app to work properly (stalemate).
- Getting stuck in a status, when the unit automatically transitions.
- Not knowing their password, to get them out of the DOT Inspection Screen. (Something that would be known, IF one were to log-in/out EVERYDAY as instructed)
- Not realizing that they're not connected to the ECM.
- An aging workforce that were just handed "the smallest possible screen" and expected to learn new technology.
- Getting into the game too late (many providers were/are specializing in telematics or some other type of service and decided to "jump in the pool.")
- Operating 9-5 in a 24/7 industry
- Allowing users to operate the applications without internet signal (which makes it almost impossible to service, since none of the data is being transmitted to a central portal in real-time).
- Not well-versed in HOS Regulations.
Moral of the story... ALL of the systems have their problems (even the big guys). Unlike other applications/programs (for other uses) that have had years of Beta-Testing and Development, these were hastily put together and "new issues" surface almost daily. The use of Cellular phones, is/was a terrible idea. Most will quit and give up. They bit off more than they could chew, dove into a pool they had no business swimming in to begin with and made promises that they couldn't keep.
"Can I have my money back?!?"
(Just kidding, I don't use One20. Frankly, never heard of them. But it really seems f-ed up that these fly by night companies popped up, took people's money and folded when they couldn't do the job.)
OMG brother, PREACH!
Also, we've just opened up our previously air-gapped engine computers to the WWW. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?!? I hope the default password isn't,,, PASSWORD.
And now a good portion of my day is spent on "power management", switching the plugs of the cellphone, tablet, GPS, and Bluetooth headset because not a ONE of these devices can run for a full 11/14 hour day. I've already found out what happens when your tablet gets low enough to shut down,,, it's not pretty.
Yeah we had a guy working for us that had his daughter set up his tablet for him, and changed our company's (probably way to simple) password. Now nobody can access that account and we had to delete it and assign him a new account because frankly we don't really have anyone here that could be considered a Sys Admin.
Page 1 of 4