Online Food Shopping

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by STexan, Jun 18, 2017.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Does anyone use Walmart or Amazon or other for ordering food items you like but that may be hard to find in most stores? There are maybe a half dozen items that I have found here or there in the past that I prefer and are great for long-term truck storage and convenience, but can't find them at my usual shopping stops (and most Walmarts) , example ...
    3a63b901-c944-4bd5-8929-99fac1972df3_1.f4f4da7ec8e3b6610d0eedc54df541d4.jpeg
    I just don't like the tuna pouches, or the tin cans, and I simply prefer these, but these are hard to find. A few scattered off-brand truck stops have them but they're far too costly that way.

I've looked at some of my preferred food items [that are harder to find in grocery stores] on Amazon, and found many to be ridiculously over-priced, even after extrapolating for their larger "case" shipping sizes.

Walmart.com however seems to sell at reasonable prices for in-store pickup but I've not yet tried it. Does anyone order through walmart.com (items not available on local store shelves) for pickup? How do you find the service? Any other online sources you like for food items?

I like Amazon.com for regular things, but it seems they're not a very good option for basic staples food items, or maybe I'm missing something.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Amazon announced on Friday that they're buying out Whole Foods for $13.7 billion and are planning on aggressively getting into the Grocery Industry. Stocks from Grocery competitors dropped dramatically after the announcement was made and even Walmart was affected by it as well. So they may have more options in the future as to the variety of foods you can buy and store pickups as well.

Walmart's Grocery pickups I think are only available at their Supercenters. I was interested in trying out they're Grocery pickup and it wasn't available at my local Walmart. It listed other Walmart's that we're over an hour away, so it may be available only at certain locations.

A lot of the Supermarkets are also getting into the Grocery pickups as well. ShopRite actually offers home delivery and the Supermarkets probably have a better selection of foods, such as seafoods or fish, which you can't get at Walmart. I do agree that Walmart is a lot cheaper than Amazon or the Supermarkets, but Amazon and Walmart have been battling out to see who can be the cheapest, and it makes you wonder how the Supermarkets are gonna be able to compete with them. Retail Stores definitely can't, and a lot of them are closing down as a result.

4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    IMG_0703.JPG I saw that Amazons announcement to get into online grocery shopping caused share price of competitors to drop. Likely only temporary. I'm in Kelowna BC for the week where Cosco uses online shopping. It's hugely popular

5. vavega

vavega Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    maple shade, nj
    i just ordered a dozen boxes of luzianne tea, since i'm too far north for anyone to have heard of it, let alone carry it.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Luzianne-Specially-Blended-Iced-Tea-8-oz/13908446

just be careful when it comes to pack count. they also sell these

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Luzianne-Tea-100-CT-Pack-6/176821656

which on the surface looks like it would be a better deal but it adds up to $14.62 more for the same amount. free 2 day shipping too. i'll let you know how it turns out.

i priced it at amazon and walmart came out on top by a lot and i don't have to pay for amazon prime.

6. vavega

vavega Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    maple shade, nj
    tea arrived yesterday, 2 day shipping as promised.
    target also has free store pickup but the last time i ordered, the web site had listed the wrong item sku with the picture of the item i wanted so it went back. when they send you the email saying p/u is ready all you have to do is go to the customer service desk.

7. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I have thought about ordering online but I've got to figure out where they'll send it, that's not that easy of task.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  8. vavega

vavega Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    maple shade, nj
    have you investigated amazon lockers?

i just found the best price on neilsen massey vanilla at walmart

nothing beats the price and free 2 day shipping

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.