Only Experience Can Answer This...

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by The3SomeTrailer, Mar 7, 2019.

1. The3SomeTrailer

The3SomeTrailer Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2018
    How wide does a wedge have to be to load a dually?

Doing a quick search, the width of the rear wheels of almost any dually I can find is 96". So is it safe to say the trailer needs to have runners that are at least 96" from outer edge to outer edge? Or can it be 90" and have 3" of each rear outer tire poking out?

Or worse, does the trailer need to be 102" wide because you need SOME clearance (roughly 3") on each side of the outer rear wheels?

I am about to have a trailer fabricated...and I HAVE to be able to put ONE dually on it for a particular client'm-

Whoever answers this...please...no guessing. I need to KNOW. Besides the obvious risk involved, the cost to widen the runners, more steel, more weight of the trailer etc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Have you investigated the width of other commercially manufactured wedge trailers? I recommend you do that because I doubt you’re going to find many here willing to tell you how wide or narrow you should have a trailer built, even if they know. Willful liability exposure isn’t a smart choice in today’s world.

4. Kozakvod

Jan 24, 2013
  5. The3SomeTrailer

Dec 25, 2018
    You misunderstand what I am asking. I am aware of the 3 common widths of trailers. None of them have a line in their specs or pitch that says (hypothetically) "Trailer Width: 96in (Capable of Hauling DRW Vehicles)"

Another person may argue that "Hey, The3SomeTrailer, what are you, an idiot? If the outer rear wheels on a vehicle you wish to haul are 98in wide, and your trailer is 90in wide, you're gonna have 4in of your clients wheel hanging off, thats a no can do buddy"...and my question, and this is me being brutally ignorant of something that very well may be common sense to other people, is whether having those outer wheels sticking off, but the inner wheels on the runners, is ok, no biggie.

Was that better, or clearer?

Is there a law, or rule, or ordinance, or common sense thing that says, "both wheels have o sit completely on the runner"?

6. Kozakvod

Jan 24, 2013
    If your load is NOT within the width of the trailer you are considered “oversize” by understanding of the law. That said, I can’t say what you should or shouldn’t do for yourself, but if it were me...I’d want ALL of that pickup truck sitting on the deck, which would dictate a 102” wide trailer, but that’s just me.

The3SomeTrailer Thanks this.
  7. The3SomeTrailer

Dec 25, 2018
    I appreciate the info, but it doesn't answer what I need to find out. Again, my question may not have a numerical answer, it may be a common sense one.

With a 2-3 car wedge trailer, being pulled by a Ford Super Duty, If you wanted to load a F350 DRW (dually) onto your wedge trailer, and the outermost width of the Dually's tires are 96"; how wide does the wedge need to be? Is it the common sense, instinctual answer of "96in"? Or are 90in wide runners ok, and it is ok that the outer wheels on the dually tires stick out?

8. The3SomeTrailer

Dec 25, 2018

bingo! thats what I needed.

9. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2019
    the link I posted shows the specs for a 48 and 53 wedge..at the bottom.
    use those specs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.