only in trucking

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by marmonman, Jun 7, 2023.

1. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    As some of you might know I retired in March after 42 years OTR.
    I was still in shock over parking my truck that I forgot to tell my last good trucking story.

So here is how the story begins.
    The day before I am scheduled to turn in my lease I get a call from safety.
    He tells me that this has nothing to do with my retiring but that I was drawn for a random drug test!
    I of course start laughing and ask if he wants me to stop by the Hospital on the way to the office and pee in a cup for him.
    He was very thankful and said that would work.

Now that is where most stories would end but it gets better.
    I go into the pee palace and check in at the front desk and tell the nice lady that I am here take a drug test.
    She asks if it is preemployment or random I tell her it is random and it will be my last one as I am on my to the office to retire after 42 years.

I get to the back and do my thing and I am just #### chatting and one lady comes back and shakes my hand and congratulates me for 42 years.
    I get ready to leave and the lady doing my test gives me my paperwork and says this for you and hands me an envelope.

I get out to the car and it turns out that they all signed a card for my retirement!
    I get home and hand the envelope to my and tell her to read it.
    She reads it and says she can't believe that the staff at the pee palace did something like that.
    Then she says, "well they either love you or they hate you don't they".

Oh, and in case you were wondering no i did not get a card from my company after being there 28 years LOL!

Well that enough rambling for one day. Be safe!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You got to the trucking finish line alive and well. You did good. You obviously were good at your job and reliable. That is a lot.
    Thanks for the story.

cke, marmonman, homeskillet and 2 others Thank this.
  4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    That is an awesome story. It points to something a bit bigger. First, gotta say, for me a small gesture like that is all I would need or want, and if it didn't happen that would be ok too. I used to work for a big company though (line haul) and every time somebody had a birthday or retired everyone brought in food, cake and made a big deal out of it. Most drivers and certainly all O/O's never get that. One day you just don't go to work anymore.

It's nice to be appreciated. Congrats on your accomplishment. 42 years OTR ain't a small one.

marmonman and tscottme Thank this.
  5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    A very apt title as a lot of trucking companies don't really appreciate retirement.

I always opened safety meetings with a brief study of the past 12 months "incidents" as a company VRS that location pointing out NOT the number of accidents; rather the number of days without incident at that terminal.

Then I asked each person to turn to their neighbor and tell them that they are doing a good job....

Sadly that's often the most praise any driver receives.

There are some companies that are the exception but I do suspect their numbers are shrinking.

86scotty and marmonman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.