Ontario raising speed limit on three highways to 110 km/h in pilot project

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Johny41, May 10, 2019.

1. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    We are going to slow down the traffic, get honked at, middle fingers and so on, :); i'm still limited to 105km/h . They should start this project test now , not in September when starts snowing, 402 and QEW get lake effect snow from November.

"Three stretches of the 400 series of highways have been chosen for pilot projects to test out 110 km/h maximum speed limits.

Transportation Minister Jeff Yurek announced Friday that Hwy. 402 between London and Sarnia, the QEW between St. Catharines and Hamilton, and Hwy. 417 between Ottawa/Gloucester to the Ontario-Quebec border will post the higher speed limits starting in mid-September.
    Ontario raising speed limit on three highways to 110 km/h in pilot project "

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    gokiddogo, Phantom Trucker and tinytim Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. liner

liner Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2008
    ontario
    So I guess nothing is going to change.

peterd and Johny41 Thank this.
  4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I doubt it will make much difference that way. I don't think the OPP looks twice at anyone until they're doing at least 20 over the posted limit unless they're driving stupid.

Curious what they looking at up north. Other than the 400 extension up to Parry Sound it's pretty much all 2 lane with some 4 lane sections. Maybe raise it to 100 somewhere up on 11?

edit, forgot about the 4 lane up to North Bay.

Johny41 Thanks this.
  5. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    Still got to have the 105 limiter though I bet.

peterd and Johny41 Thank this.
  6. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    The hypocrisy is hilarious!

They're going to cut $46 million from the OPP's budget, so to counter the reduction in traffic enforcement they're going to raise the speed limit to presumably reduce the number of traffic crimes?????

With all the talk about reducing our carbon footprint they're going to raise the speed limit????

Do they still have those signs posted in N Ontario where the speed limit is 90 km/h, that literally tell you you won't get a ticket unless you're doing 120 km/h with the cost of the fines listed from 120 and up????

The smart thing to do, adopt the number 5 for speed limit signs and make the speed limit 105 km/h, or 65 mph, even if it cost $2 more per sign, make the cops a little more vigilant when it comes to speed control and tag them at 111 km/h, then they won't have to cut the OPP's budget so much, they might even show a profit.

I remember during the 80's when the OPP's budget got cut in the north country.
    I was told, (by a cop, I think), that prior to the cut there were 14 officers and 3 or 4 supervisors patrolling between Longlac and North Bay, and after the cuts there were 4 or 6 officers and 1 supervisor.
    Then again, the Ontario government has never been particularly fond of that part of the province, unless the money was flowing from it.

tinytim, Johny41 and dunchues Thank this.
  7. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    The fines listed start at 20 over so in 90 zones they list the fine for 110.

Google Maps

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Snow Monster Thanks this.
  8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    The speed limit on the 401 is "whatever you want" anyways, and the OPP do very little to enforce it most of the time.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.