Ontario School Advice

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by 6rider, May 9, 2018.

1. 6rider

6rider Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Ontario
    Hey fellow members, I was looking for some advice for anyone that has recently attended AZ school here in Ontario. A little background: I'm almost done Uni (done all courses just work term remains) and was hoping to do my license here in the summer. I've always wanted to drive rigs and have ridden with my father since I was a kid so I know a decent amount about the industry (got a degree as a back up). Rather than sit and do nothing through the summer I feel it's best to do my license right now even though I won't be looking for a position right away. I am one of the lucky ones considering my father owns his own rig and has a trailer available for me to practice. He offered to teach me through the summer and monitor while I get comfortable behind the wheel. With that said and my search, due to the updated legislation, school tuition with the updated MELT requirements are quite high (I've seen some close to $10,000). I still would like to go to a decent school but only want to pay $5000-$7000 since I can practice on my fathers rig. Would like some recommendations in this price range and if another place costs more than please give an explanation why its worth spending more and why you liked the school. Thanks for the advice guys!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    What city in Ontario are you near

4. 6rider

6rider Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Ontario
    Toronto

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Dang
    I have a contact in Windsor
    I would call and talk to the schools....see what they say.

In the end you might just have to bite the bullet and spend the extra. It isn't bad considering you'll make about 1k a week right off the start. (When you start). When you planning on applying for trucking jobs? If not until the distant future I'd say put school off for now... all school really does is get you past the ministry test. If you do that and don't go driving, having no real experience it's not exactly like riding a bike.

6. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    You might have to call as many schools as you can to find the cheapest program that qualifies.
    Your lucky if you have a truck to practice on especially if its your fathers he wont stear you wrong.
    I don’t know why those schools charge so much considering what they provide.

7. 6rider

6rider Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Ontario
    I’d like to do my license this summer so that when I’m done with school completely, early next year I can already be set to start. I have an evening job and am free during the day so would like to use my time wisely.
    That’s why I don’t necessarily want to pay more than I have to considering my position. I’ve learned quite a bit riding with my father through the years as well as helping him wrench and such. I’m no newbie to the industry but still have to go through these schools to get my license in the end.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.