Oopsie! Raised beds and train trestles don't mix.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by whitelinequeen, Jul 18, 2017.

1. whitelinequeen

whitelinequeen Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2012
    SW Washington
    This happened near Portland, Oregon this week:
    Dump truck hits train trestle, twists track

A dump truck with bed raised wiped out the train trestles, hitting so hard that the bed came off the truck.

I have never driven this type of equipment, but this isn't the first time I've seen an accident of this type reported. So a question to those who are more familiar:
    Is this due to failing to secure the hydraulic system, so the bed raised on its own? Or just carelessness?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Short answer to your question is YES. But more specifically carelessness in not making sure the bed was lowered and the pto disengaged preventing the box from rising if the lunch box accidentally fell on the box controls.

whitelinequeen Thanks this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Doesn't take a genius to see that the tracks are f'd.
    [​IMG]

tucker Thanks this.
  5. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Sometimes train operators get bored ... this kind driver was just trying to liven up the operators day by sticking a little taste of a roller coaster at work.

bigred81 and whitelinequeen Thank this.
  6. gwilli89

gwilli89 Light Load Member

May 4, 2016
    Illinois
    I have, very seldom, seen a hydraulic system fail. However, more times than not....it's driver error/inattentiveness.

7. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I'm curious how you wouldn't see in your mirrors that the bed was lifted, or feel it in the suspension.

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  8. Roberts450

Feb 6, 2016
    Mack dump truck with suspension thats pretty funny. If they do some looking Im betting there is a job site that company is work right close by and thats why things accidentally got left on and it very slowly raised. By the look of the cab protector it wasnt up much and it was probably only a 12'6 at most underpass by the looks of it.

Caterpillar Cowboy Thanks this.
  9. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I've never driven a dump truck but you would think that they could rig an alarm that would go off once the bed was raised and the truck was in motion over a certain mph.

10. Roberts450

Feb 6, 2016
    On dump trucks simple simple simple is the key. That means the less electric stuff the better. Dumps and mixers are just about the most beat to death trucks there are out there because of the environment they work in.

11. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Dump bed in air incidents happen everyday all across the country. Some are caught before something happens, some are minor incidents, some make the news big time. I've seen it happen to drivers I'd expect it to, and seen it happen to drivers I'd never expect it to. Everyone has bad days.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.