Open flame cooking stove inside your truck?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Thatonenewguy, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Thatonenewguy

Thatonenewguy Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Just trying to figure out how I can live better on the road. My first 3 weeks of eating out of truck stops did not agree with my digestive system. Lets just say it was a night and day difference between truck stop food vs fresh hamburger and eggs. My plan so far is to simply cook up hamburger and scrambled eggs while at home and store it all in my fridge. Unless someone has a good game plan for cooking with gas on the road. I don’t dare put a lot of stress on my trucks electrical system?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I have an electric skillet, convection oven, and microwave. I run it all on a 2000w inverter. I don't eat in the truck stops. I have my choice of steaks chops or what ever I like that week.

4. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    If you don't have an inverter, I bought a little camp stove that used butane and it worked well. Just wanna keep the windows open and a fan on to be safe

5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
  6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Only if you're making corn dogs! lol

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I carried a little baby Hibachi, like a rectangle grill, with me when I was on the roam. Not so much just for a nightly stop, but a 34, or heck yea.

8. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Light Load Member

Hi Thatonenewguy- you have a fridge-excellent.You can keep cold cuts n meats.Back in the day,we used to ring o rocks campfire at night-but-thats not allowed anymore,so i carry the little 10$ charcoal grill.Straps on the deck w/the 10$ lawn chair.I keep a bag of charcoal n lighter fluid under the bunk.
    It's amazingly easy to cook just like home when your on the road.I stop once a week n restock.Just start doing it,youll get into a pattern n it's fun.
    I would get fellow truckers to join in,parked in the back row,all doing our 34's-they'd see me sitting in a lawn chair w/my feet up,having a cold one w/chicken on the grill.We'd all chip in n cook more.I asked the guys, dont complain about not being home-missing home cooked meals,,,,,,,,,,,this is your home-make the best of it-it's not expensive.
    Cook on.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  9. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Makes him pee!
    The excitement is that overwhelming.

passingthru69, bzinger and Kyle G. Thank this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Install a good quality inverter and run an electric skillet. Or get a camping gas stove. And do your cooking on the catwalk or on a small folks up table. I wouldn't advice open flame cooking inside the truck.

ExOTR Thanks this.
  11. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    When I was OTR I used a 12v lunchbox stove, it takes a bit but you can cook about anything in it. For example Eggs take about 20min, but I saved a fortune compared to eating out 3 meals a day.
    Once I had an APU I used a microwave.
    Overall the only times I really ate "truckstop food" was when I was at an independent with a great salad bar, or I would hit a buffet once when I was taking my 34.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.