Opinion about job offer

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Evie3, May 4, 2017.

1. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    It's time to stop holding his hand. Let the kid find a job and succeed or fail. You are a great parent, don't screw that up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    UPS found out that they have more accidents from making left turns than any other thing so they are supposed to route the trucks to prevent lefties at major intersections. I worked with a company that did the study for UPS and came up with the routing policies. Now only if they can get their drivers to slow down, a lot of them speed - I mean like 60 in a 45 speed.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  4. quatto

quatto Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    Good for you, Tomcat. Nice to see there's more than one good parent here.

5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Do YOU have a child with a special need or two????? let us know at that point.

6. breadtrk

Oct 4, 2015
    She says he is recovered and smart. If this person has "special needs", this person isn't ever going to make it in our world. This is a man or woman up job and get the job done gig. Hand holding not allowed. Mom going to ride with him to make sure he gets treated fairly? Mom going to make sure he washes his hands after fueling?

My point is that Mom needs to let this kid make his own way in the world, or find him a gig where she can continue to hold his hand. I'm with the others that have said it. Get him on this board on his own feet, if this message board is too intimidating, he sure as hell isn't going to make it on the road.

Florida Playboy Thanks this.
  7. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    @Sho Nuff-How do you get hired on at UPS or FedEx as a package van driver? I have never seen them advertise for that position so how do they get applicants if nobody know they're hiring?

8. breadtrk

Oct 4, 2015
    Can't speak about UPS in general but at the UPS on Whites Creek in Nashville you have to lump packages in the center for a while, when you prove you are a hard worker, you can try the delivery gig and if you are good at that you can then try one of the shuttle gigs.

9. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    You gotta go on their website and use their search engine for available positions.....

http://upscareers.jobs

https://careers.fedex.com/express

10. Evie3

Evie3 Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2017
    I am 100% sure this is the truth. He told me that the great folks at our Dept. of Vocational Rehab were a bit upset about him not taking the night janitor job they found for him at a high school - it would have been safer and would have presumably come with pubic employee benefits. He tried calling me to talk it through when the decision had to be made, but I was on a call at work that I could not interrupt so he had to make that decision alone (that was how it was supposed to be, no doubt).

At the beginning of his foray into trucking last fall, when he brought home all the stuff that you have to memorize to pass the written CDL test, I privately thought to myself "there is no way in hell he is going to be able to do this, but I won't be doing him any favors if I try to protect him from life and if he needs to fall on his butt then that's what has to happen. I'm just going to shut my mouth, support him, and have faith that all things work together for good. After that what happens is up to God." Honestly if I didn't believe in God I would have been a big liability, because the whole idea of him succeeding at this appeared impossible to me.

And ###### if he didn't not only pass the written test, but he holed up in a restaurant near the DMV, reviewed his endorsements again, went back in and passed his doubles/triples and a bunch of others (I don't remember the entire list).

No way in a million years did I imagine we would be where we are today. Really, all of this posting is for me, it is helping me to be a little less stressed about everything. I've always been the one to research everything and the trucking world is a big unknown to me, it's like Scotty beamed me aboard a different ship. I'm maintaining the policy of keeping my mouth shut with him unless asked for advice (and really, I have limited advice because all of this is new to me. He is probably getting better advice from the people he deals with himself in trucking). The last thing a man of his age needs is for his mother to run his life. I think at this point he sees me more as a place to bounce ideas around, a sounding board. Thanks everybody for putting up with me.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    G13Tomcat and Florida Playboy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.