Opinion? Air-ride? Worth the expense?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by nvmyrc51, Jan 18, 2019.

1. nvmyrc51

nvmyrc51 Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Florence, KY
    What is your experience gentlemen? It is a $4000 option. Anybody losing work for a lack of it? I will be hauling general freight out of the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TN Flatbedder

TN Flatbedder Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2016
    I've never seen a load requiring spring ride- but used to see air ride required all the time- still see it from time to time but I think shippers just expect it now because it's pretty much the norm. I'd get it just for the added comfort it adds on those super smooth highways.

4. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Your back and your tractor will much appreciate air ride trailers. There is a huge difference in ride quality. I have had spring ride trailers damage freight before.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Good heavens, man, this the easiest question to answer. I can't believe a truck company would even offer that byzantine spring setup anymore. You haven't driven many spring ride tractors, have you? After your 3rd broken leaf in a month, you'll wish you went with the air ride. Take your pick, they're all pretty good, trailer I'd go spring, but spring ride tractor? I'd walk right out the door.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have started off in spring big trucks. The freight damage is something to behold. Not to mention constant digging out piles of fallen pallets.

When we finally hired to nicer companies with airride trucks (The ones with the full bags, not the half assed set up prior) we began to enjoy much less cargo damage, essentially zero.

My last ambulance ride in Dec was on spring, they explained that they keep the airride rig (Second ambulance) for the obese people who have need of it.) I can tell you that spring caused me pain on every plate on US 67 which is broken concrete versus a smashed hip joint. So I pretty much complained about that spring suspension all the way up. lol.

7. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    Air balances weights on axle groups way better than spring.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I think OP might be talking about hotshot goosenecks. I could have him mistaken with someone else though.

Lite bug, x1Heavy and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If this is hotshot, you need a compressor that will never stop feeding air the system rig wide. I don't think that is standard equiptment on pickup trucks not made for it. There is a really beefy GM Pickup rated for 31500 pounds and has factory rear air suspension etc (Assuming it has a engine based air compressor) that probably will offer a way to do it. It's stuck in regulatory limbo due to the govt shut down, unable to gain final DOT approval for use on American Roadways just yet before it can be sent into full rate production. If I was in the market for these rigs that would be one I get, with the spc'ed manual transmission to go with the duramax. I would not have a automatic with this one.

10. nvmyrc51

nvmyrc51 Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Florence, KY
    This is for a hotshot 40’ deck over gooseneck trailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.