Opinions on 2007 Pete 387 C15

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Elroythekid, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2007 387. C15 475hp 1850 tq 3:36 rears 22.5 rubber. 730kms its in real good shape has an APU with a new alternator on it 2 brand new leather SEaRS seats. Recent overhead and dyno run showing its very healthy and clear oil samples from everychange. A couple cosmetic scratches etc to fix, needs a windshield has a small split at the bottom, rubber is 75% drives 50% steersall Michelin Virgins, needs new driving lights.
    Questions,
    can you buy warranty from Cat on the engine?
    Its showing a lifetime of 6.7 mpg from the ECM is this US gallons and how accurate would that be?
    Price is $45k. Is that in the ball park?
    Thanks
    Colin.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Admin

Admin TTR Forum Owner Staff Member Administrator

Apr 6, 2009
    Hey Elroythekid, I've moved this thread to the Trucks forum, you'll receive a lot more answers from the folks in here than in the Canadian forum (no offense intended to Canadians). :biggrin_25525:

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  4. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Price is in the ball park BUT why a CAT? There's a reason CAT has dropped from the heavy truck market....
    The ecm may have been programmed for Canadian gallons. An ecm download will tell you. Check with Atlantic CAT about extended warranty...give them the truck VIN and engine s/n.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  5. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Have you run the ecm? What is the % of idle time?

6. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    He had a full dyno ECM done when he brought the truck off the road to sell a couple months ago at CAT and idle time is 11%. It was making 505hp. Cat says the engine is great. He had an oil sample done at the same time. He has 2 trucks. He let his driver go that was in his old freightliner and he's driving that. Its paid for and he's winding it down sort of semi retiring I guess so he wants to sell the 387 as it still has 24 pmts left so he will be payment free and have to work a lot less.

The Challenger and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  7. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Truck is scheduled at pete in the am for a MVI check then CAT mon am to do another dyno and oil sample. I want to make sureits ok.

SHC Thanks this.
  8. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Good idea... I would not take a dyno or samples that someone else did. I would want my own done.

Also, is it a pre-DPF engine???? I sure hope so for your sake!

9. e500gvr

e500gvr Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Bloomington,MN
    can you buy warranty from Cat on the engine?

Yes, Cat sells Used Engine ESC. Requires an Inspection prior to sale. Check with your Cat dealer for price of Inspection and coverages offered.

10. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    This! For your sake.

11. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Peterbilt is checking for MVI tomorrow and drawing samples from rad, engine, trans, and both diffs and sending it to cat. Mon 8 am it goes on the Dyno all will be told then. It is a NXS motor so it is pre emission. I've never had a Cat always Detroit and Cummins in my previous trucks. I just got rid of a one year nightmare with a new Crapcadia I took a small bath on so I'm checking EVERYThing before purchasing. I would be doing a glider but can wait till next year for a truck so after 5 weeks of searching thiS is the best deal I can find. I plan on having it for 2 yrs it will be paid for in a year and half, IF the new PaCCAR engines work out ill prob order a 388. But if it ends up a great truck I may keep it for a while. Time will tell!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.