Opinions on a truck I'm looking at

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 24kHotshot, Jul 25, 2020.

1. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    If it’s ready to roll, then the price would be my hang up. The price depends on how bad you want or need it. I would try to be at $12k tops.

singlescrewshaker, Xray4 and OldeSkool Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Probably be a very reliable truck. I’m on my second Freightliner and they just go and go. I agree though that it’s too expensive. Single screw brings the price down a lot on trucks and if it doesn’t have paperwork for an overhaul I definitely wouldn’t give more than $12,000 for it either.

I just sold a 07 Freightliner Century that ran and drove very well for $10,000. It was twin screw but looked a little rough.

singlescrewshaker, 062 and Xray4 Thank this.
  4. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Wow ok $12k is far below the 18k he has listed, not sure he'd go further than 15-16. I appreciate the input gents. Maybe I'll stick with the f350 srw longer. It's just so limited to the rear axle rating, hence the single screw obsession right now.

It looks like the singles are really hard to find in comparison to tandems, and I know @OldeSkool you mentioned the single should price less, but from what I am seeing, there are far more tandems for sale priced less than similar age and mileage singles, so do the singles really cost less?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  5. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Lol well I always thought so, but have never seriously looked at a single screw so may have spoken too soon. It’s a pre emission truck, may need an overhaul soon but probably run many many miles trouble free. Get the guy down as best you can and snap it up. You aren’t getting
    I always thought they did, but then again I’ve never seriously looked at one so I may be wrong. Just try to get the guy down as best you can and snap it up if it’s what you’re looking for. It’s pre emission so the few extra thousand you pay would be quickly gobbled up if you bought a slightly newer one anyway. I just feel like the price is steep, but may be worth it. As far as the truck goes, it’s probably going to be a good economical option for you. They are almost bulletproof.

singlescrewshaker and Xray4 Thank this.
  6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    You won’t know until you ask. Use anything found wrong at inspection and anything that you need to change as part of negotiations.
    You also have to figure if it’s going to increase your revenue. If you spend $15-16k how long would it take to make that money back versus what you’re running now.

7. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    That's exactly my predicament. Freight wise, I am finding rates to be similar if I run a 6,000lb load or a 24,000lb load out of AZ. The issue is that with my current setup, I can only run that one 6,000lb load whereas with a different power unit I'll be able to run 4 of those at the same time. Should be able to make the money back pretty quick. And a sleeper sounds a lot nicer than the back of my ford p/u :)

2004, pre emissions, owner says he burns about 7.5mpg loaded, and I just called california and was told I would not be legal in their special clean air society with this 'old' truck. Lots to ponder..

There should be a LOT of used semi's for sale in California with the emissions mandates they have...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    singlescrewshaker, Lite bug and 062 Thank this.
  8. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Not a bad looking truck at all. I assume it’s set up to pull gooseneck since they were pulling horse trailer with it. That fine for your purposes. It’s a 14 liter so I am assuming it has the EGR on it...not ideal. They did make some pre-emission 14.0’s but power would be up around 525-575 on one of those. They were not common. I’d rather have a 12.7 pre-emission personally.

That shaker I posted on page 1 still looks like a good truck IMO. That one looks ready to roll.

singlescrewshaker and Xray4 Thank this.
  9. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    That 2007 Colorado truck is a really nice truck, its just 10,000 higher than my current budget :D

normally in this kind of a situation I would wait and roll with what I have until my budget can be larger, but dang I am limited with my setup.

10. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Weighing all the options. Very good plan. The more opportunities the better your success rate. That sleeper is so valuable. Good luck X-ray

singlescrewshaker, OldeSkool and Xray4 Thank this.
  11. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    That red freightliner columbia did not work out. I don't know the last time I saw rust so bad it ate through frame rails... Body mounts were totally eaten through and the block had a 1/4" of soft flake.. I doubt it'll make it to the dump. The rest and cab were immaculate. I guess it lived in Pennsylvania before it went to Kansas then AZ

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.