Opinions On Ultrashift Transmissions

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by unified88, Sep 26, 2012.

1. unified88

unified88 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2012
    We are looking at picking up a couple 2009 T660s with Ultrashifts. Does anyone have an opinion?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    What will you be using these for?

4. dirtyrabbit

dirtyrabbit Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    KS
    You lost me at '09! DPF is not my favorite term to hear. But, I am interested in hearing of an ultra-shift.

SHC Thanks this.
  5. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    RUN AWAY.....
    2009, DPF. Why do that to yourself?
    Ultrashift is not a bad deal if you are always loaded and only OTR. They do not work for parking mobile homes thats fo' sho'. You cant move less than a foot at a time.

Fot those of you who will inevitably say "just have the DPF removed"... EPA has gotten wind of that little plan, they are trying to find (and they will) a lawmaker to sponsor a bill making it a criminal offense and requiring a state certified "snag check" type inspection when you buy a DPF/DEF truck.

6. Catfishbilly

Catfishbilly Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    Screw ultrashifts, pansies.

7. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I drove a centrury for two weeks with an ultra shift in it. It wasn't too bad until ot came to backing. It was horrible. Also, going through an intersection once while making a left hand turn it dropped into neutral and wouldn't come out. After that incident I got a different truck.

Ethan

8. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    I have a 2007 Volvo 780 with an Eaton Ultrashift. It is a 75/25 relationship. 75% of the time I like it, 25% I hate it. It definitely sucks when trying to back a heavy load (I am a flatbedder) and it will often stick in second unless you come to a complete stop. I have had problems lately with it down shifting while climbing uphill and not being able to up shift again. I have to go to manual to up shift and then put it back in auto. I have a feeling that the speed sensor is going out again.

If I were to buy another truck today, I would have to say I'd go back to a manual transmission. I have much better control over the truck overall. The best thing about the Ultrashift is when stuck in traffic, you don't have to clutch and going downhill, your down hill velocity will not over rev the engine.

Hope this helps in your decision. Oh yea, almost forgot. I don't recommend a 2007-2010 KW t-660. From what I have heard from fleets, the engines on these things suck and require a lot of down time. You would be better off buying a pre-2006 model or a post-2010 model.

SHC, The Challenger and DrtyDiesel Thank this.
  9. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    I have a 07 780. My best advice is to avoid the ultrashift. They are a big headache. Sometimes they will go into a fault when going down the road(meaning the Service light and a "F" flashing in gear display, and when it comes out, it will sometimes do a hard shift jolting the truck). Sometimes when you park, the transmission and the computer don t communicate and you re stuck with a (-) in the gear display, and since it isn t in neutral, the truck won t start.

10. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    The Volvo ISHIFT which is exclusive to Volvo engines and obviously Volvo trucks is the cats meow, I have a 13 speed now.....my next truck if it's a Volvo will probably be a ISHIFT, it's a night an day difference to the eaton autoshift or the Merritor automatic

11. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    Did you test drive the IShift or driven one under a load. I have heard great things about them, but won't buy one unless I can test the truck under a load or hear multiple good reports.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.