Options: FFE or FedEx freight

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by cgf002, Oct 19, 2018.

1. cgf002

cgf002 Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2013
    What's up guys? I wanted to get the opinions of some real professionals. I have a date to go to the FFE academy in Lancaster, but today I received an email from FedEx freight for an initial phone screening for the Driver Apprentice program. My ultimate goal is LTL or oil field work, so FFE and the year OTR is just a means to an end. I really have no interest in OTR, but I'm too broke for school. My question is should I pursue FedEx and risk not getting hired or just go for the guaranteed job at FFE?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. arrogant steve

arrogant steve Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    The FFE job is no guarantee, you will see students excused from training with no job offer. The reasons, as you will see, range from pee test failure to marks on their driving record to general bad behavior at the training facility. Many students are brought in thinking all is well only to be told to leave after a day or so for various reasons.
    I did my schooling in that area with CRE about six years ago, no I don't recommend them. I saw all the things I just described happen there.
    This is a common thing with the " mega" carriers.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with using these carriers for training and experience and then getting as far as you possibly can from them. That's exactly what I did.
    There will be stupid drama with some of your fellow students. Just wanted to give you an idea of what awaits you in Lancaster.

4. cgf002

cgf002 Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2013

Thanks. I'm not worried about the drug tests, and my driving record is flawless. Never even been pulled over XD. My main concern is that I'm unemployed, and I've heard FedEx has a very long and convoluted hiring process. Also with FFE at least I'll have the CDL and have options after my 1 year is up. If FedEx falls through I'll be back to square one.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. arrogant steve

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    Can't speak of Fedex as I have know experience with them except the job offer they gave me at the Tyler terminal. Like I stated before, just wanted to give you an idea of what to expect at FFE's training facility. If you can accept training and show proficiency and aren't a problem child, you should easily get through and have a job with them.

6. arrogant steve

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    Just one more thing. You stated your are currently unemployed, so I'm thinking you don't have an excess of cash falling out of your pockets. Make sure you know what the meal situation is going in. CRE told me that meals would be provided. Turns out that there was a taco truck that came everyday at lunchtime and I guess that's what they meant by meals provided. We bought all of are meals. Some students had issues getting fed as they were broke and thinking CRE would feed them.
    I'm not saying that it's the same at FFE, just that you should know for sure how your are getting fed while there.

cgf002 Thanks this.
  7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    FedEx has driver facing cams I think. They might have an opening at their Olive Branch terminal if they review what that idiot did on Hwy 305 around 11:50 a.m, almost causing a head on collision with a dump truck. Those guys are clowns, they are inconsiderate pricks and are some of the worst drivers on the road.

But hey, a job is a job, if they offer it take it. Just don’t act like the multitude of morons that drive for them.

x1Heavy, cgf002 and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd go with FFE without hesitation.
    @TravR1 works there and is knocking down $1500 weekly most weeks & sometimes more. He went through the academy in Lancaster and can fill you in on the meals and other benefits. FFE even pays you if you happen to be sitting at home, but are available to work if they need you.

cgf002 Thanks this.
  9. cgf002

cgf002 Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Thanks. I'm leaning that way as well.

x1Heavy and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Yeah its not a bad company at all overall. I havent regretted my decision in the slightest.

FFE doesnt really have an OTR division that I know of, thats KLLM. With FFE you will drive across the country still but will be delivering between their terminals, going to grocery distros picking up orders and taking them to terminals, and etc. They have a Tyson Food account that I dont know as much about.

The Academy was fun. You'll get your own dorm room and 3 meals a day in their cafeteria. The meals were plenty to keep me full. Served 3 times a day. The free stuff was plenty for me but they have purchase options also if wanted a desert or whatever.

After training in orientation they will let you choose between KLLM and FFE. Don't let them talk you into KLLM if you arent jazzed about OTR. FFE will probably be a better fit for you. They have local divisions also you could work into. A local driver told me he was earning 18.75 an hour with lots of overtime. Local isn't my thing though so I cant give more detail than that.

FFE has a plasma account thats great if you arent allergic to touching freight. You drive around to blood donor locations, load them into your reefer and drop them off at customer warehouses. It avg. 1500 a week. 3 weeks on and 1 week off. I did the Northeast run and pulled in 2200 for that week recently. The Northwest run paid even more.

For me the hardest part about the job is it runs teams. So you are dealing with another guy in the truck and sleeping while the truck is moving. Its nice though because you are paid for all miles traveled, so you are earning while you sleep.

Chinatown and cgf002 Thank this.
  11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    tsleep.that also means you might be the guy driving overnight sometimes. You would need to be flexible and willing to driving at different times of the day or night. I prefer nights. Most drivers prefer days. What's nice about teams is the insane parking situation that exists in trucking right now wont effect you too much because your truck is always moving and the plasma people usually let you park at their locations which are typical close to restaurants, grocery stores, and etc. It also means you wont always get a shower. An OTR guy shutting down at a truck stop nightly can get one easier than a plasma driver that needs to keep moving. I average a shower once every 3 days and i grab them as often as I can.

cgf002 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.