1. Drpparker95

Drpparker95 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Meridian mississippi
    Hello guys i got to thinking about something. I currently have about two weeks left in a community college class. What are my best options if for whatever reason i dont pass. I will still have my permit and medical card. I was thinking the local beverage distributors may hire me as a helper or possibly company sponsored training.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    Bear down and pass.

4. Drpparker95

Jan 2, 2017
    Meridian mississippi
    Im definitely planning on passing but ultimately life sometimes throws a curveball

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Your permit goes bye bye after a fixed amount of time. And the med card? that depends on how healthy you stay. Eventually there is no point in having a Med card without a CDL to attach it to. Literally.

You are not going to fail. Schools rarely fail people, but if they did... and you never got a CDL? Well... there is a option to try again later, you might have to get the permit all over again. People who fail basic truck schools really are BAD for one reason or another. Most people who apply themselves do not think about failing, it is more common to fight problems like backing, shifting, mountain hills or whatever.

Company sponsored training does not happen without a CDL and a DOT card and all the necessary papers that goes with that at hiring and orientation. No one gets into a 18 wheeler without at least the proper credentials.

This is not 1970 anymore. The industry has changed quite a bit.

TruckerAce48 and AfterShock Thank this.
  6. Drpparker95

Jan 2, 2017
    Meridian mississippi
    Ive got the driving part and pre trip but backing is hit or miss most days. My biggest issue is splitting seat time with three other people and having an instructor whose idea of instructing is to stand outside the truck telling me what to do but then walking away. I need one on one instruction with backing

AfterShock and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    You really need to spin that "what if I don't" attitude around, and take the bull by the horns, firstly. The rest will fall into place.

8. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ;

If you can 'medicocre' back..... you'll probably pass. It takes a good 3 months up to a year to be proficient; ask around. Who are you planning on going with after school? I know you've bounced a few ideas on various threads, but don't recall the outcome.

Broke Down 69 and AfterShock Thank this.
  9. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @Mike2633 ...any answers to this??? ^^^ Your arena, bro.

10. Drpparker95

Jan 2, 2017
    Meridian mississippi
    Right now its between maverick and Schneider. I can mediocre back meaning it takes me about three or four pullups with offset and alley. Parallel ive done once or twice without hitting cones but more often than not i hit some

Mike2633 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Backing is following the trailer around once you put input enough steering wheel to make an angle to work with. Done right it's finished in 1 move like I usually do, but I did not commonly get into one move backs until about 20 years into my trucking. Even now I need about 15 minutes to play with someone's trailer in a dock and get that one move back again. Im rusty.

Being told what to do does not teach you anything when the instructor is yelling at you. You are trying to do too many things at once. Some of it will be discarded by your mind and not retained.

Even when you do get a CDL and get into your first trucking job, you might be confronted with a grocery warehouse built in 1920 and you have about a inch on both sides to clear everyone as you dock a trailer. In some cases your tractor is too long and a yard jockey will have to get it in there. Those are the worst situations as far as I am concerned. But they can be done if you have enough room to get a angle and get it in there.

I broke many a mirrior in my first year. Usually in the Dalles west virginia truckstop where the ground is uneven in that back row. I pay the driver his 25 dollars or so for a new mirrior in cash and move on to getting with backing. When I finally stopped handed out mirrior money sometime in my 3 or 4th year I had a idea I wa sgetting somewhat better at backing.

But backiing was not my opus. It's mountains. They put me on one and discovered I don't do heights. Then it's weeks of mountain work until they flipped it on me and turned me into a monster that loves mountains. The steeper the better.

AfterShock, G13Tomcat and Mike2633 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.