Oregon - 140 between Dairy, OR and Odessa, OR ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tscottme, Jul 30, 2021.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

There is a stretch of OR-140 between Dairy, OR and Odessa, OR that doesn't have the STAA markings in the atlas. Has anyone driven it in a big truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Never been on it but there are stretches of 140 restricted to 65ft overall. I don’t have an OR permit anymore though so I can’t tell you the exact sections.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. SkinnyRoads

SkinnyRoads Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2021
    You are good anywhere along 140 between Winnemucca and K Falls.
    Take lunch!

86scotty and tscottme Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

thanks. Trucks are restricted, according to atlas, from Lakeland, OR to the NV border. The section in question is just east of Klamath Falls. The road markings on the atlas change from STAA dimensions to just road.

6. SkinnyRoads

Jul 30, 2021

7. SkinnyRoads

Jul 30, 2021
    There's no probs, just go and have a fine ride.
    If you're that worried, call the highway patrol.
    They will be happy to answer your questions and then you will know for sure....

8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    It use to have length restrictions after the left turn at Denio junction. When I was a newb, I took that route by accident, and got to what was probably the steepest grade I've ever seen with a few switchbacks. I drove the entire length in 4th or 5th gear going just a few miles per hour. Lose control off the shoulder, and it's several hundred feet down. There were some old cars at the bottom that they never bothered to recover. Not a good road to breakdown on.

Team818, tscottme and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Oh come on ur just getting into the fun roads out west when u get into the blind switchbacks barely big enough for a truck, while staring at the sky pulling the hill in 2nd gear :D

tscottme and SteveScott Thank this.
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Pulling? Heck I was going down it with a heavy load of water and praying that I didn't meet anybody on those switchbacks. :eek:

Team818, tscottme and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OR has different rules depending on trailer length and set up. They have a map you can get that is color coded for what is allowed. For example there were roads that our 40/20 sets could run that I couldn’t with a 53ft quad. Some have no restrictions with a 48ft but limit overall length with a 53ft. Look up Oregon Route Map 7. It shows no restrictions for the part you’re asking about.

Team818 and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.